restricted credit card for daughter

My DH and I would like to get a pre paid credit card for his daughter. Unfortunately we cannot give her cash because the mother will spend it on herself (recently the mother took the $150 we gave her for a trip and spent it on gas for a rental car) I know its terrible.

Anyway, we want to get his daughter a card she can only use for herself like on clothes or for her nails or her hair or whatever. Is there a card out there that anyone knows of that we can restrict where she is allowed to spend the money at. Like only at certain stores, or whatever. Thanks ~L

oh no I do, I just spent $400 on school clothes for her...... she has nothing... HMM wonder why....:roll:

Well, I just thought that maybe if she knew she had a little money that SHE can spend not her mother. That she could buy what she wants as far as clothes and stuff and not have to run to us all the time... not that I mind. I have 2 boys, so shopping for girls is FUNNNN to the 10th power!!!

Like if she needs something small like shampoo or underwear or whatever she had the money for it.

We could always give hera prepaid visa I guess and have the mother sign a paper saying if she spends one red penny on herself she would get sued (if that is possible). I mena we would get the statements, and rebuild some credit at the same time.

and yes cav, she is a bia***

When I took her I got her normal clothes for a girl her age, her mom makes her shop at osh kosh which is like for babies... shes in intermediate school for christs sake...:? COMEON !!!

I think it is great that you guys help out with the kid. It is very diffcult being a single parent and the wrost thing for a step-parent to do is try to divide a child from thinking the up-most thoughts about their bio-parent. Maybe it would help if you guy's explain to her mom that the little funds that you give her child is only for personal use. But if an emergency comes up and she has to buy gas or food and she does not have the money then by all means use it to do what is necessary.

But if you don't wan't to let her have access to any money at all then I think that you should take her to buy the thing's she needs every single time she calls. Or just try to be better friends with the mom so that everyone understands each other on this matter. Trust me the way the adults handle this will be a good learning exp. for the daughter who may one day be in a step family situation of her own.

I agree w/ trwil1. If the mother is a civilized person & can be reasoned w/, then yes...you guys should try talking to her, adults-to-adult. However, if the stepdaughter's mother is anything like my "stepson's" mom, I wouldn't give the child one dime out of fear that the mother would take it and spend it on her hair or nails, leaving him with nothing but the old clothes on his back. Talking to the mother would not make matters better [for the child's sake]. She's unreasonable and immature (which are both understatements). So anything that the child may need, we buy the things for him and take them to him. (We feel comfortable that she can't wear his underwear;).)

Getting ANY card for her @ this moment runs the risk of the mother using it. Just like she could take the cash, she could take the card. Debit cards would be great, but now, many merchants allow the option of "Debit" or "Credit" (which doesn't require a pin#). Even writing, "See ID" on the back of the card is often overlooked and hardly enforced. Even my beau uses my card and it's MY name on it.:? You could try discussing your request w/ a bank. Perhaps they can put some restriction on the card that would prompt a message requesting ID when the card is swiped (ha...I'm in dreamworld again, but it doesn't hurt to ask). You could also either take her shopping when she calls or have her make a list of necessities so that you guys could buy the things for her and take them to her @ your convenience.

My xwife used to take any money the kids got. If relatives sent birthday or gift money, she would "borrow" it. Then she would (after getting my child support checks) send them to me for things like school supplies, field trips, and the like.

With your daughter being a minor, and your xdw having custody, there is nothing you can do- she has complete control over the finances.

Even if my DH talks to her she gets all mad and defensive. We just got finished paying HER car off per the decree, she gets her support, monetarily she should be in a good situation I know the mortgage payment is only like 250 a month (its on my DH's CR) Who only pays 250 a month for rent and then says they dont have any money?? We bought the daughter a cell phone for EMERGENCIES only and her mother usues it to call people then lies about it ans we have the stupid itemized BILL. XhairX

ANYWAYS off the pissy soapbox

I was just thinking that with all this technology, there would be a CC that we could specify WHERE she could shop.

Or if there was some kind of law that if she signs a piece of paper agreeing not to use the funds on herself, then it could happen. I guess it has never came up in court that is why there is nothing written about it. I wonder if legally that would be a contract?