ALONDRA

Need Advise Please Help Trail date approaching

I have a trail date for Aug. 31 for a summary of judgement. I live off disability check. I have been told to show up at court and show the judge a copy of my ssi check with a copy of all my utility bills and prove to the judge I have no money to pay them. They filed the case in court a week before the sol ran out. I am being sued by W&A. I know that probably the fact that I don't have the money would not be held up in court. What should I expect when I show up in court? Should I ask the judge to legally exempt my homestead and ssi check form the judgement? Or should I even show to court and let them get a default judgement against me since I have nothing they can take a way and I am a 65 yr old lady that is probably not ever going to get anything else on credit? You don't think I will be arrested? Do you? I have never gone to court before. Please give some advise. Any responses will be helpful.

Thanks

It's a summary judgment motion. It is simply the plaintiff asking teh court to declare that you have no legal defense to the debt. You are correct in assuming that saying you are on SSI with no other assets is not a defense.

I do not know what state you live in, so I do not know if it is worth your time. You may get a concession out of them in front of the judge ( and hopefully captured by the court reporter) that you have nothing they can get and they will not seek to execute on any property.

You will not be arrested. This is a myth perpetuated by the collection industry.

What do they have on you? Can you file a motion to dismiss the summary judgment based on the fact they have nothing? It doesn't take much to write one and costs nada. You just need to have it in court before the court date.