HELP! A law firm is calling me..

Blessedw3

I cancelled my old gym membership and I guess you have to pay for the whole rest of the year when you quit. (they tally up all the months even ones you didn't use and request payment for them...Anyhoo, it went to a collection agency and I paid it two weeks ago so that it wouldn't go on my record..(and because well we owed it. (And vowed to never again sign up for a membership I'll never use lol).

I have a letter saying it was paid.. However, a law firm called me today threatening to sue me. I told them, "good luck trying to sue me in getting a paid account." (The guy was RUDE!) anyhoo, should I send it to him? If I fax him the receipt there's no way this can hurt me can it? You'd THINK they'd KOW it was paid! Any info ASAP is appreciated.

First off the membership deal is a great one for gyms , dojo's, dance schools, etc they get their money for the whole year up front (most of it ) and the collection of the money is up to someone else. and many people either quit or move and still end up paying the whole years dues that the gym get's money for mambers it doesn't have to accomodate any more. The downside is the people that do this kind of Factoring(that's what it's called) are not usually the kind of people you'd like to deal with. BTW Factoring is illegal in many states.

OK back on subject, you have paid up, so technically you can prove you owe nothing, I wouldn't call the lawyer back or converse with him any more. I would politely call the gym and ask them to converse with the SOB. After all it's really their mistake, make them do some of the work, tell them you'd take care of it but the lawyer was so rude to you that you were offended and you really prefer not to deal with "that type of person" , What if they refuse? tell them that if you are contacted again you'll refer the matter to an atty, they won't like that. simply because they could end up in court as your witness that you have paid( along with you receipt) Explain to them nicely "look, I paid my dues for a membership I didn't use, you got my money so you should call your dogs off"

BTW first I'd talk to whoever you gave your money to, but don't be surprised if that doesn't work, then start climbing your way to the owner, and remember be nice, the owner has no reason for bad blood between you and the gym, they got their money, and you shouldn't be harrassed.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out

Actually I just ntoiced that in your post you said you paid a CA, but you should still do the same thing the gym is still getting your money make them work for what they have received, let they gym owner know what you've gone thru because of his companies membership