Removing super late mortgage pmts from a credit report???

jenyws

Can this be done? I just went thru a divorce and couldn't afford to pay both my mortgage and my rent. The husband was living at his parents home and refused to pay the mortgage since he wasn't living there. The payments are 7 months behind and we were threatened with Foreclosure. The good thing is, the house was on the market and we make settlement to the new buyers on this coming Tuesday. Is there anything I can do to clean up the last 7 months of missed payments on my credit report?????

Ok…I probably should let this one pass by but I can’t help myself.

Having gone through a divorce many years ago, I know we often don’t think through issues logically but I can’t help but wonder what you two were thinking???

Getting a divorce doesn’t change your obligation to your lender; nor does whether you or he lived in the home (although I can’t help but wonder why neither of you lived there but that's your business and what's done is done).

As to whether this negative information can be removed from your credit history; there is no logical or legal basis for getting accurate information deleted from your bureau; especially something as important as a mortgage (after all, we aren’t talking about a scummy CC collector here)…you may succeed if you are persistent enough and the odds for you getting it removed will probably improve once the loan is paid off and you aren’t actively dealing with this lender anymore but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Some times when we screw-up our financial lives we just have to live with the consequences.

I know what we did was stupid. As consulted by my lawyer, I was advised to move out of the house, my credit is already screwed up because of the ex-husband, so.... if I was to pay anything towards the mortgage and the ex did not, I wouldnt be able to get reimbursed any portion. It I paid nothing at all, the ex would assume 1/2 the responsibility at the time of settlement. My son and I moved into my grandparents old house and pay the monthly rent. My divorce was an absolute mess and I got screwed royally. My case is the only case I have ever heard of where the woman does come out shinning. (And he committed adultry - NJ laws suck!)

Anyway, because of all these negative marks on my martgage - I will attempt to have them removed AFTER we make settlement of Tuesday.

Thanks for the advice.

But if you were living in the house and paying the mortgage, you got the benefit of living there. I'm assuming the rent on the house you moved into was much less?????

As it ends up, neither of you were living there - no one paid anything at that time - but you will end up paying anyway.

But, what's done is done. As far as the adultery goes, most judges/courts don't even blink an eye over that, so don't stress too much over the fact it wasn't taken into consideration.

You can try to get the mortgage company to remove the lates, but with it being 7 months, they probably won't. The mortgage will be paid off and will show as being paid and as the years go by, the lates won't count as much.

Stick around this board and you will learn a great deal on how to improve your credit rating. Just remember, it's not going to happen overnight and you have to stick with it - but it WILL happen.

Some times when we screw-up our financial lives we just have to live with the consequences.

Amen! :)

Dh and I have happily takin' our medicine these past several years for stupid mistakes we made. They were all attributed to poor finance management, not knowing our rights, etc-etc (ignorance is no excuse, but we're forcing ourselves to learn) and you realize that it's YOUR fault, and so must the remedy be. We're taking financial classes and budgeting workshops--you name it, we're doing it because we genuinely want to be financially responsible consumers.

Elyse

I agree with the comments. Unfortunately, we all learn from our mistakes. I do have two things to add.

1. You can write a goodwill letter to the lender explaining the situation. On occasion, seldomly, some will work with you and delete the negatives. Of course, you have to almost beg with "I've learned my lesson, I was misled", or whatever, but, remember, all they can say is no. And, do realize, that if they don't, and it remains, when you approach a lender to purchase another home, take the time to explain the circumstances. I say this as the TL will reflect a zero balance, and, your other TL's will be positive. Many lenders will overlook some negative items, but, the interest rates may be higher. You can also have a 100 word statement applied to your CR's so any potential will have a head's up.

2. Make sure that any debt the Ex was ordered to pay gets paid. A divorce decree, in many cases, does not hold up in court, when unpaid debt is involved. Especially in community property states.

Thank you for the great advice. I've always said that it doesn't hurt to ask. I have requested assistance from them during the seperation so that could validate my "goodwill letter".... hopefully they will be nice enough to remove them. I will keep you posted. THANKS AGAIN.

My case is the only case I have ever heard of where the woman does come out shinning. (And he committed adultry - NJ laws suck!)

Although, I dont have anything to contribute to your situation - I did want you to know that you are not alone :) I didn't fair well either.

Anymore it depends on who has the better attorney. My older sister, after 52 years of marraige is now single. We can only assume her Ex had planned this for years. He seldom worked as he would "create" businesses from home, while she spent over 35 years with John Deere. The end result is that his attorney played golf with the judge, so take it from there. As to how things were divided. Do read:

1. His attorney's friend over appraised the home by $40,000, so, she got the house as it looked, on paper, that the split was fair.

2. He got half of her retirement from JD because SHE was the breadwinner. Here's the best part. If he dies first, his half will stop and she will not be able to get it reinstated.

3. He lied to her grandchildren and now some have turned against her.

This is just the best parts, there is more.

My divorce was messy...my ex actually sued me for future earnings when I as still only a sophmore in college (even though we were both working full-time jobs and making essentially the same income) as well as made a lot of other wild claims.

My attorney and I refuted all the stupid claims but in her chambers, the hick/small town judge told my attorney "I don't care what the facts show, he's (me) going to pay some alimony"!

We all have to play with the hand we are delt I guess...but there is life after divorce and as I've always said, "success is the best revenge"!!!