A$$et Accept old Tricks

credit_on_mars

When it rains, it pours. Several years back I made a mistake and clicked on a “get your credit report here” thing, so here it came and here came the CA’s. One item was a Chase Bank CC account I had no record of and later on other accounts began to make me suspicious, so it turned out I was a victim of ID Theft. Two of them eventually took me to slam claims court and after much study on this forum I had both cases dismissed. I attempted to have the Chase case settled but the bottom feeding CA I called, A$$et Acceptance I called told me they had no intent to collect on it and after asking them for a DV they sent me a PC screen printout. That is not nice so I then got my three free CR’s and sent A$$et a DV (certified) once, twice and a third time with no response from them, except the green cards. All this was in early 2002.

Well, fast forward to this year when I sent for my free reports and there it was, as usual, the Chase NA Bank items, two for the same account, and A$$et Acceptance item, for the same account – all except the amount that started off at $3,000 in 2002 was not up to over $10,000 in 12006 and because I had disputed each item each and every year as not mine, etc., this year I then disputed all of them with the big three as fraudulent. On my wife’s CRA’s they deleted all of the same Chase and A$$et items but not on mine. Then here comes a new dunning letter from A$$et asking for police reports, SSN, all kinds of other information that I don’t have or will not give them anyway. I only found out about the ID theft and the bogus accounts after years passed, so a police report would be useless now. At any rate, EQ puts the DOLA as 11/2000 and the SOL in FL is 4 or 5 years, depending on who’s law book you read, so I am gong to wait until they sue me and most likely use the SOL defense to have the case dismissed. Not sure wher they come up with a last activity, but I will let than alone. Someone used my ID to enhance their life at my expense.

The problem is, I will counter sue them for all kinds of violations so will most likely needs other documents to back my suit up. Of course, after three DV’s to A$$et and calling Chase, I still have no documents except the old and new CRA’s. Hum any advice out yonder in this great group?

remember, the FDCPA has a 1 year SOL; the FCRA has a 2 year SOL. So if you think you have violations and want to pursue them, you may have to take action rather than wait for them to come after you

If I was younger then I would love nothing more than sue t he scumbags. Retired on SS and other untouchables I am not in the mood. They used to call a lot then after reminding them of their violations they stopped. The only contact I ever have with them is after sending for a credit report. That always brings them out from under the rocks. The SOL is long past and if they do come after me my attorney will be ready. I just hate paying for lawyers and gong to see judges. The last one asked me if I had filed a police report whereas I replied in the negative, since the ID Theft had taken place in 1995 and it was then 2003; I saw no use in it. I did follow his suggestions and the police told me to wait until the court case was over. Oh well, the judge dismissed the case w/prj and I reported that theft to the police – they told me not to worry they could do nothing anyway. Can’t win for losing in the law business.

Now, I will wait and see. Thanks for the reply. I have seen similar posts somewhere herein, but a search turns up nothing. Seems like one of you Gurus suggested doing nothing because A$$et probably had no proof to take the person to court. Unless I totally lost all my memory I cannot find a single thing pointing that I ever had a Chase account; however, they will buy old accounts and change the acct numbers to fake us out. Now, I always thought this was a free country -- but I think crooks actually run things. Lawyers too :)

Do you still have all of your info from the previous time you contacted them as to the theft? If so, make copies, then compose a letter clearly demonstrating that you were led to beleive, BY THEM, that this matter was resolved back when. And, since not being contacted by them for years, you felt it was over. Then, you pull a CR to find them still there, and here we go again. I'm sure you get the drift of what to do.

FYI, A$$et is at the bottom of the S*** chain, even lower that NCO. BUT, these ADUB's took it to court and had the court determine that since they now own the debt, they have a free hand at screwing the consumer. Even when told how the law is worded, the judges in Michigan still fell for their BS. I say this as they will use the date of purchase to appear on your CR as the DOLA to keep it on longer, when they legally can only report that date as their DOA/reported since, or any other place except the DOLA.

You say the dispute got it deleted from your DW, you need to do the same for you by disputing it again. But, this time I would contact the police and see if they will verify that by filing a report today would not be of any benefit due to the date of actual theft. Get it in writing, then send a copy off. Usually, A$$et would not verify debts and they would delete easy. This actually surprises me this happened to you. And, as a last resort, you can wait for CHOD (holiday period) to dispute, and many times it is deleted without any problems. The ultimate last resort is to take them to court for the violations, and demand proof of debt then. You will win then because they will not be able to prove debt, plus, you have all of your previous communications showing the theft, etc., which clsoes the door for them.

retmar, I saved all the letters, green cards and CR's. I even saved that crummy screen printout they first sent me as a DV! Hopefully they will just let it slide because my last DV was alerting themn to the SOL and my intent to sue if they contacted me again. Anyway, from the credit reports the dates are still the same, i.e., DOLP; 10/2000, and DOLA: 11/2000, so at least the Equifax CR has all that stuff on it.

Thanks anyway.

You know what you have to do now. Put it together and send it off.

Be sure and add the verbiage that IF they fail to comply with your demands, you will take further action, including, but, not limited to, naming them as a defendant in a Civil Suit in DISTRICT court in your county. You want district as this will assuredly get the laws in front of a judge. Small Claims will not get you anything as the "wanna be judge" has no idea of how to apply the law.

To add, we dealt with them a few years back. My wife was a victim of Providian's agressive ways of selling. What happened was that after about 3 or so weeks of receiving the card, they would call at least twice a week offering different items, and, if you would purchase them, they would raise your limit accordingly. Each time she refused, and the next statement would reflect she accepted. She would call, argue, they would claim she did, refuse to remove all charges as they wanted her to pay for the "time used", and so on. Finally, she just told them to close, send her a statement showing her actual charges and interest due, so she could pay this off and go away. They never did. Instead they added the late and over fees until they charged it off, the whole time the wife would tell them different. Finally, they CO'd and sold to A$$et. A$$et finally got in touch with her by mail in the normal initial communication form. We responded with a DV and clealry stated in very plain English that when we receive a statement showing all purchases, such as gas, food, or any retail business (we had our receipts), and allowed interest, we would remit payment in full. We never heard from them again and when we filed the dispute with the CRA's, it was deleted. This happened in early 2002. I just wanted to give you an idea of how we got rid of them, and to show it can be done.

I DV'd then three times and with stronger threats each time. This bogus account is listed as "Paid charge off, Account transferred or sold" by the CO (Chase). I even included a threat to sue in the last letter. They called a lot but then stopped. Then I disputed all of the listings, two by Chase and one A$$et and they removed them from my wife's report and I am waiting for two of them to complete the so-called investigations. The charge-off was listed on an old report as sometime back in 198, but the DOLA is in 2000. Weird accounting. I will just wait and see. If they should take me to court then I have documents to prove the SOL and also an FTC avadavat showing fraud in several accounts than was simply ID theft. Then, it’s with my lawyer to district court to file a big time lawsuit. I hate court houses though! It’s like having a root canal! :)

Just do what you have to do toget it done.

Maybe I should start over again and contact Chase asking for documents. I will not have anything what so ever to do with A$$et or any of those scum. The problem with Chase is that since I have no records or information linking me to any Chase account and I was involved with ID theft back in the 1990’s I assumed this was a similar case. I asked Chase back in 2002 to send me at least some information on the account and try to help me resolve the issue, but they as mush as slammed the phone down on me. Dealing with huge banks is a pain but some are more than a pain in the rear – as in chase.

One of my ID theft cases I wrote to the Comptroller of the Currency Customer Assistance Group to complain and the forced the CC company or bank to provide me with real account information. Maybe it’s time to call and wrote the banking regulators again. Those banks and CC companies are so isolated from the public it is hard to get them to respond.

At any rate thanks for the discussion and suggestions. I will pursue this and think about suing them all. Hate going to see dentists and court judges!

Just do what you have to do toget it done.

Hum, just noticed on the so-called dunning letter that the last item states that if I do not respond within 30 days they will consider the matter resolved. Hopefully they will follow suit as with my wife’s CR and delete it as I requested in the dispute. However, trusting in logic is a human failing when dealing with such scum bags. :roll:

Hum, a week after getting that dumb letter from ASSet giving me 30 days or the matter would be resolved I get another letter stating: “Please be advised that this account is closed and will no longer be handled by this office.” I wonder if they done gone and sold it to some even lower bottom feeder!!! :) That was hillbilly-speak.

It is likely they did sell it or maybe, just maybe, all my DV's and threats and disputes did the trick. What ya think?