Fortuna

Debt Settlement Letter vs. DV

After disputing a collection, which would be better to have it removed from CRA? It is a small debt to the phone company with DLOA 2002 and currently with a CA.

I could send a settlement letter (to CA or OC??) asking for it to be removed from CRA, but if they don't agree, and I proceed to DV, then they would have my letter as admission that I owe the debt.

Of course it sounds logical to start out DV but I really don't want to make any more work for myself (i.e. subsequent steps up to ITS) than I have to if the settlement letter will work.

Any thoughts?

personally, I would send a DV first. if they can't (or wont) provide proof that the debt is yours, you can offer a PFD without an admission of liability.

I think you attack it on both fronts. To keep the CA on its toes, you DV. But please give a reason, such as " Not mine" or " Paid before colection" or " unresolved billing error by carrier" Don't just send a letter saying " Proof this is mine"

Then, write the CEO of the phone company directly. Give him your sob story, give the reason you gave the CA, then say " While I do not believe I owe your company anything, this item causes me much trouble. As a matter of goodwill, without admitting anything, I enclosoe a check for $XX in exchange for your promise to have the item removed from by CR by the CA ( or whomever is reporting.) " Be consistent.

You could also try the 1-2 punch.