Judgement

uniqgrl760

In utah can a judgement be entered against you if you were never served?

Yes, they do it all the time !

All states have methods for service of process besides personal service. Mail is certainly on of those alternative methods.

UT law for service is here: http://www.guaranteedsubpoena.com/ut.asp

Call the courthouse and get a copy of the case file if there is a judgment against you.

LadynRed,

Thanks so much for your help. One more question- I have my car loan in my dad's name and would like to refinance it to get it in my name so I can build the credit. If I did that and I ended up getting a judgement rendered against me (for a charged off credit card account) would they be able to take my car away to pay the judgement off even though my car is worth more than I owe? Thanks again

Technically they COULD sieze your car, but in most cases they won't - they depreciate too quickly and never bring more than many 25% of value at auction, so it's usually not worth their time to sieze a car. You have exemptions available to you that might protect the car.

The value of the car isn't half what YOU think it is, especially in an auction situation.