Michigander

Uniscum

I retained an attorney to deal with Uniscum, ( Unifund). They appeared on my CRAs about 12/05 and never sent a dunning letter, etc. They have never even called. They (I believe), played games with my current address on my TU report and had my current address changed to my previous address about 9 days after they pulled my reports. I rectified this, disputed with the CRA and had my address corrected. They have dropped off all 3 reports after an initial dispute with the CRAs.

The have purchased old COs, more than doubled the amount stated as owed and, like I stated, never contacted me. My attorney says they will settle for nothing less than 80% of the astronomical ballance that they say is owed. He has been playing hard ball and we are prepared to file Ch 13 if need be. Ch 7 is not an option, which puts me in a somewhat restricted negotiating position.

Has anyone settled with these scumbags, and if you have, what approximate percentage did you get from them?

Thanks for the assistance!

First, a CA is not required to contact you directly and I seriously doubt they could "play" with your address history.

Did you DV them? Did they reply? If you didn't DV them why not?

How old are these debts/are they past the SOL?

Just because they claim a balance is owed doesn't mean it is...you have a right to a complete and accurate accounting of what they say is owed and for them to show that they can add fees, interest, etc to an account...just because they now may own the debt does not mean they can add fees as they feel like it.

I'd consider a different attorney were I you...it doesn't exactly take a lot of talent to get a JDB to agree to take 80%'; that's probably about 10,000% more than they paid for the paper!

Whoa Mich!

Don't pay them OR file bankruptcy!!! This is Unifund you're dealing with. You probably could take them to court on numerous violations if you have proof. If you haven't used the proper channels before now start from the beginning and DV them. You WILL be able to trip them up somehow!

Unifund is a nightmare and dragged me into court three times... (for three different accounts ) over the course of two years..I had to hire and attorney they LOVE to sue.. they do it for sport.

My lawyer did get a settlement with each of my cases for about 50% in payments with no additional interest... she told me that if they won I would be responsible for the attorney fees as well.. the first case took over a year to settle... and it came down to the cost.. it made no sense NOT to settle.. sometimes you just have too.

they do NOT bother with dunning letters or phone calls.. they just send a sherriff (or whomever it is in your state) to your door... and as much as I hate them.. they did not violate anything.. they simply served a summons.. see this way they dont make as many mistakes.. the debts were within the SOL.

In fact we went to court one day and there were 10 unifund cases on the docket.. the summons IS their dunning letter.

Unless you do not owe this or it is out of SOL I suggest you may want to reach an agreement and I would NOT do it by phone.. also send it to the legal department.. the first two we had were turned down.. until Legal got it and then they accepted.. the in house collectors would not.. they wanted more.