I am Completly lost, dazed, and confused HELP!

GitRdone

As a follow up to my first post where I explained the conversation I had with a CA who called me after I filed a dispute.......They mailed me a letter with the amount owed (these charges were paid, and they are even marked paid on CR) In all there are 4 bills which total $142.00 However they are demanding payment in the amount of $261.00 which they say includes collection and service fees.

I also recieved a letter the very same day from a different CA collecting on the SAME accounts! But this one is demanding payment of $589.00 (liquidated damages and administrative costs)... How can two different agencies collect on the SAME accounts and give me two different amounts? Especially when I have already PAID the OC....I am lost as to what to do about this one.....

Now switching gears.... I have a federal pell grant overpayment from 2 years ago. I do not feel I am responsible for the entire amount as I never attended classes (my father passed away and I dropped all classes before ever attending) But I really want this debt taken care of so I called the CA to work out a speedy solution...The orginal debt is $1123.00 The rep I spoke with said I could settle it for $875.00 payable in 3 monthly installments of 392.00....She also said they would delete the entry in my CR. I said I would agree to those terms provided they send me a written agreementI was assured I would get proper documentation and I gave them my checking account number to auto pay. Well two weeks went by and I did recieve 4 letters from them all of them say the same thing...NOTHING about the agreement, instead the letters ask me for the same monetly payment of $292.00 But instead of 3 months they all state SIX months! And they say NOTHING about my CR....I called again yesterday because the first payment was due today....They put me through to the SAME rep who was all nice and sweet when we first spoke....this time she was a total Twit! she told me that she personally mailed the letter etc... basically called me a liar. And said she did not have to send me anything. So I hung up and called my bank and stopped payment. I called back this morning and asked to speak with another rep, I told the rep that I was recording the call so that I could keep my own records in order. She quickly said "you do not have permission to record anything I say" ...so that basically ended the call. I REALLY wanted to pay this debt but they are making it impossible....has anyone dealt with this sort of thing? how did you resolve it? .....I am SO sorry this is so long and I know I sound clueless...because I am ::roll:

You may want to post a link to your 1st post so that members would know what conversation you're referring to.

I also recieved a letter the very same day from a different CA collecting on the SAME accounts! But this one is demanding payment of $589.00 (liquidated damages and administrative costs)... How can two different agencies collect on the SAME accounts and give me two different amounts? Especially when I have already PAID the OC....I am lost as to what to do about this one.....

DVing both CAs would answer your question (to determine which one has the right to collect).

Now switching gears.... I have a federal pell grant overpayment from 2 years ago. I do not feel I am responsible for the entire amount as I never attended classes (my father passed away and I dropped all classes before ever attending) But I really want this debt taken care of so I called the CA to work out a speedy solution...The orginal debt is $1123.00 The rep I spoke with said I could settle it for $875.00 payable in 3 monthly installments of 392.00....She also said they would delete the entry in my CR. I said I would agree to those terms provided they send me a written agreementI was assured I would get proper documentation and I gave them my checking account number to auto pay. Well two weeks went by and I did recieve 4 letters from them all of them say the same thing...NOTHING about the agreement, instead the letters ask me for the same monetly payment of $292.00 But instead of 3 months they all state SIX months! And they say NOTHING about my CR....I called again yesterday because the first payment was due today....They put me through to the SAME rep who was all nice and sweet when we first spoke....this time she was a total Twit! she told me that she personally mailed the letter etc... basically called me a liar. And said she did not have to send me anything. So I hung up and called my bank and stopped payment. I called back this morning and asked to speak with another rep, I told the rep that I was recording the call so that I could keep my own records in order. She quickly said "you do not have permission to record anything I say" ...so that basically ended the call. I REALLY wanted to pay this debt but they are making it impossible....has anyone dealt with this sort of thing? how did you resolve it? .....I am SO sorry this is so long and I know I sound clueless...because I am :roll:

Bad deal! Never agree to pay a dime until you get everything in writing FIRST. CAs do lie; they do deceive. So you must be careful when arranging for any type of payment. NEVER EVER...give them your account #!!!!! All they care about is getting their $ by the end of the month so they can make their commission. Don't let them sucker you into making an "immediate payment so that we can prevent legal action". BS!! Also, if you live in a one-party state, then yes...you had the right to record the call w/o her consent. But since she ended the call, that law wouldn't matter. What are you looking to resolve? Getting the TL removed? Well...you can try the many methods posted on these boards. But unfortunately, none of them can guarantee a removal. You'll just have to keep trying. You always have the option of trying the PFD again. Have you tried disputing the TL? They may very well have you on record now, which would trigger the initial communication (if this is the first time you communicated w/ them). If this initial communication occurred less than 30 days ago, then get that DV letter out NOW. Read up on DV. Follow the flowchart. If it occurred more than 30 days ago, then do know that they do not have to cease collection activity. (They do however have to list the account as "in dispute".)

I have a federal pell grant overpayment from 2 years ago. I do not feel I am responsible for the entire amount as I never attended classes (my father passed away and I dropped all classes before ever attending) But I really want this debt taken care of so I called the CA to work out a speedy solution...

I don't want to sound callous but what does never showing up to class have to do with anything???

Suppose you buy a car and have a car loan but you don't drive it for a month and there is an earthquake and the car gets swallowed up. Does that mean that since you never drove it that you do not have to make payments.

If you made contract with somebody, then you are obligated to pay it regardless of what happens in life (like divorce, etc...). If you didn't go to classes, so what... They don't give a flying [EXPLETIVE DELETED].

You should have immediately requested a refund on the classes. Most universities only have a limited time window for that so if you passed it up, then you are [EXPLETIVE DELETED] out of luck...

Originally Posted by GitRdone

I have a federal pell grant overpayment from 2 years ago. I do not feel I am responsible for the entire amount as I never attended classes (my father passed away and I dropped all classes before ever attending) But I really want this debt taken care of so I called the CA to work out a speedy solution...

I don't want to sound callous but what does never showing up to class have to do with anything???

ravenous_wolf:

no offense, but it sounds like she did what she could on her end. no one needs to be preached at here. she dropped her classes. that should have automatically cancelled her finaid. i've dropped out before and it completely cancelled my finaid. in fact, they sent me letters saying that the funds for my loan had been returned to the bank.

personally, i'd try to call 18004FEDAID and see if they can provide some assistance to you. perhaps you can settle directly with the DOE.

It is not that it is preaching... These are legal contracts and if you don't follow the correct procedure, then there are adverse consequences regardless of what happens in life and it doesn't matter if it is a student loan, car loan, mortgage, etc...

And no one can prevent tragic events from happening. Such incidents are terrible and often times they are completely unexpected. A friend of mine of long ago, she had to drop out of college three times because of awful events in her life. A lot of times these things cannot be helped but that still doesn't mean that a legal obligation goes away (a lot of people have that impression with credit and divorce).

Colleges do give refunds but if and only if you follow the proper procedure. And even then, there are always sympathetic administrators that can help but only if you approach them immediately.

But if a person simply disappeared and never properly dropped the classes and filled out the right paperwork, then there is a legal obligation there. But again, it depends what really happened...

Perhaps I should have provided more details, but withdrawing from classes has EVERYTHING to do with it. No services were rendered therefore no payment is due ...The college recieved the grant it was their responsibility to return the funds. It was not a loan it was a need based grant. Initially the college sent me a notice of "financial aid restriction" I appealed, that decision in writing and was granted my appeal by fault of their own. ... by that time the pell overpayment was already in collections. I have tried contacting everyone and anyone to take care of this..but for some reason no one wants to or they cannot help me. Federal grants have NO dispute policies..My only option at this point is legal action against the college ....but I would rather pay it than go through a long drawn out process. I wish to return to College soon and anyone who is defaulted in student loans or has a grant overpayment is not eligible for any federal loans or grants.

Using your example I could say...Suppose you decided to buy a car, you applied for the loan, but decided not to get the car after all. The Dealership kept the car AND your loan money. Now, you have to pay for nothing....

So, it appears that you did attempt to follow procedures, albeit a bit late. I think Rav's comments were based on info that was not provided. The essence of what he said re: contractual obligations is correct IMO.

For future reference (a lesson you have learned the hard way) as Angel suggested, never trust ANYTHING a CA says. In fact don't even talk to them in any form other than writing.

:)% Good Luck with this situation. Everyone here wants things to work out for others.

Ray

So, it appears that you did attempt to follow procedures, albeit a bit late. I think Rav's comments were based on info that was not provided. The essence of what he said re: contractual obligations is correct IMO.

For future reference (a lesson you have learned the hard way) as Angel suggested, never trust ANYTHING a CA says. In fact don't even talk to them in any form other than writing.

:)% Good Luck with this situation. Everyone here wants things to work out for others.

Ray

Yeah, I understand where he was coming from. I hope I didn't sound B*tchy in my last reply I was just frustrated yesterday from dealing with those people. Angel is right, if I have learned ANYTHING from reading these boards it is NEVER trust what a CA says and what did I do? I went right ahead and did it LOL ....Yes it is definitely a lesson learned I guess I figured since I wanted to pay the balance it would have been safe to contact them and make the arrangements. I must admit I was stupid enough to believe at the time I called to make arrangements that I was actually speaking to an internal collections department at the USDE LOL *slaps self in forehead* That is why I gave my banking info. (the letters are decieving that way)

I am still new at all of this, and I am learning as I go but I am determined. And no one told me how addicting this was going to be when I first started LOL Thanks everyone for the great advice I am sure you will give me more as time goes by LOL I am so thanful I found this board. Hope all has a wonderful weekend (except for that wrench collector I spoke to on the phone yesterday LOL)

P.S. I actually used to work as a collector for american express in the small bussiness accounts department.:oops: I saw first hand how many of my co-workers would use nasty attitudes with customers. Since I worked with accounts that were under 30 days late, I never really had much of a problem collecting the bill. But yeah, it's a VERY competative working environment, huge bonuses, even prizes like expensive merchandise as incinitives every month to the top three collectors in each department..they don't care if your whole family was murdered yesterday and your on welfare, they still want that PP (payment promise)