CMI collecting for Comcast

wtanya485

This site is the best. I have read and learned so much. I have send DV letters to collection agencies and they have removed from my credit report. You guys are the best. My question is that I sent a DV letter to CMI group, collecting for Comcast and they sent me copies of bills that show a balance of $0 and someone clearly hand wrote on the final bill next to the zero balance "bill $138 to collection agency". This is not proof being that the balance shows $0. How should I proceed from this point?

Hi there,

Firstly, how old is this debt? Secondly, they "hand wrote" in some amount next to zero? To me, this isn't validating the debt. You may want to send them another request via CMRRR requesting an itemized list-anyone could've written in some numbers--it sounds like you'd have good room to argue.

Are you aware of having a bill with this company? Do you have copies of your final billings, proof of payment, etc?

Elyse

I did have an account with Comcast in 2002 & 2003 but as far as I remember I paid the bill in full when I turned in the cable box. I dont have a copy of a paid receipt, its been three years. Also on my credit report it states that the first date of delinquency was 8/2001. I didn't have Comcast cable in 2002. They apparently dont have very good records and want me to pay twice. I am still looking for that paid receipt,,,,Grrrrrr I didint realize this would haunt me years later.

• 1 month later...

Received a letter from CMI collecting for Comcast today. They will be deleting the account from my CR due to the fact that the proof of varification they sent to me prior was falsified, "hand written". When they sent me proof of the bill, it clearly stated remaining balance $0. They had no choice but to delete and apologize.

Interesting... I have 2 TLs from CMI, both for Optel Houston. I am thinking one is cable and one is phone. They really screwed me over on phone service, promising extended area coverage so calls to my mom, who was dying, would not be long distance. I called to check on her everyday and went to visit every weekend. I called them several times, and they never corrected my account to add that service, and at some point, I gave up and just made the calls I needed to make, resulting in about $400 in LD charges that I refused to pay. They are from 2001, so past the SOL in Texas, but will be on my report a while longer.

I was planning to DV CMI, but now that I read that they are really tough, maybe I should just try to find out if Optel is still in existence, or has been bought and try to deal with the OC?

Here is something I haven't come across here yet... if you have more than one account listed with an OC or CA, and you pay one of them, does that cause more toruble for you regarding the other TL?

I'd do some Googling and find out what happened to Optel.

You should DV CMI and ask specifically who the creditor is (name and address), that will help you get in contact with the OC and find out what records they have on you.

When the DV hits CMI, if they don't respond I would just wait for them to violate FDCPA or try to get them to. This will protect you against a court filing and the DV shows a good-faith effort that you were trying to deal with the creditor and not ignore their threats.

I was planning to DV CMI, but now that I read that they are really tough, maybe I should just try to find out if Optel is still in existence, or has been bought and try to deal with the OC?

Here is something I haven't come across here yet... if you have more than one account listed with an OC or CA, and you pay one of them, does that cause more toruble for you regarding the other TL?

I had an account being collected by CMI on behalf of Adelphia (now Comcast). When I DV'd them, they responded and had Adelphia send me a detailed itemization of my entire account as well. Wasn't getting out of that one...;)

I goodwilled the VP of my region and the rest is history as they say...

I had an account being collected by CMI on behalf of Adelphia (now Comcast). When I DV'd them, they responded and had Adelphia send me a detailed itemization of my entire account as well. Wasn't getting out of that one...;)

I goodwilled the VP of my region and the rest is history as they say...

Can't win them all... but at least the CA got the real-deal info, which is what you need before you'd send money to someone who comes out of nowhere saying you owe.

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke with them on the phone roughly 2 months ago, I told them I wouldn't give them a cent unless it was a "pay for delete".

I dv'd them, they complied. From dealing with so many different collection agencies, I've learned the first person you get on the phone is unable to delete an account. You must ask for their supervisor, and even that person has to have it approved.

I spoke to a very nice supervisor with cmi on Friday. She told me to call back monday, as my account would have to get an approval for delete. I ended up speaking to another supervisor today, he told me "she" was on break, and he started asking me a bunch of questions. I finally asked when she would be back. I called back 45 minutes later, and that person told me she had went home. I called again, and finally got a hold of her. She remembered me from Friday, told me to hold, and within a minute later, she told me "if you pay the full amount right now (289.34) the account will be reported to the credit bureaus, and that the account would be deleted". I agreed, paid them, and voila....it should be deleted in a few days...they're sending me a deletion letter as well. I know a lot of you are thinking "I wouldn't trust them" but those calls are recorded, and lying to the consumer (me) would be a violation of the fdcpa.

Lesson learned? Dealing with CA's on the phone isn't a bad thing. This is the second account I've had deleted in the last week over the phone. Also, IT's VERY IMPORTANT WHO YOU TALK TO!!!!

Good luck.

I have a $68 Paid Collection from 3/2000 showing for CMI. Nothing I have done will get them to remove that TL early. They have always validated and refuse good will letters, I have been anxioulsy awaiting 3/2007!!!

Ya Hooo !!! I tried one more time - wrote a very nice letter to CMI and referenced the impending deletion date - two days later it was gone from all three according to TC.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything I have read on credit forums is that CMI will live up to their verbal agreement to PFD.

This goes for CMI and CMI only. I would not trust any other CA to live up to this bargain, but I would trust CMI since the overwhelming evidence says that they live up to their end of the deal.

I recently also had a collection from CMI on my credit report. I mearly called them up and spoke to the representative and asked them that if I pay in full if they will delete it. They aggreed and deleted it only a couple days after my payment posted. They said that the reason that they could agree to this is because they didnt have any correspondance from me in the past. Not sure how it will work if you have spoken to them before