Raysway

Dear CRA, I want my 6.5 year old judgment back!

Man...

I recently acquired my first 700 FICO score on TU after recently acquiring a few new TLs. That was such a great sensation. My feelings of accomplishment were profound and I stared at the screen until the page timed-out.

I had a judgment for a city tax bill on my CR that I either forgot about or ignored from 2000. I probably just threw it into a box expecting it to pay itself. Unfortunately for me, this was a plain ol' ordinary box and the bill went delinquent and a judgment was issued in the amount $170...PLEASE, no snickering, but yes, $170. The judgment was paid in 2001 and since I NEVER checked my reports, the matter was history that no longer...well, mattered. There it sat quietly...aging!

After I began my credit repair, the issue, of course, became a bit more important to me. It wasn't showing as paid, so I took all measures recommended by fellow CIC members to ensure it did. Success!

About a month ago I disputed the payment date of this paid judgment with TU simply because I wanted my report to appear as "clean and accurate" as possible. Shortly after, I received a notification from TU along with a recent copy of my CR that still contained the judgment. It stated, "This record is no longer on file." Huh? A devious little grin immediately appeared on my face as I thought to myself while sinisterly rubbing my hands together, "Well, I know what to do now!" I immediately went online and disputed it as "not mine" (spare me any moral gospels...I paid this debt and have lived with it for 6.5 years).

Yesterday upon checking my report, something was missing and we know what that was...the judgment was gone! GREAT! No major surprise though...I've read that sometimes the CRAs will delete accounts that are that close, but it was a good feeling to no longer see it there...mocking me. My TU FAKO score jumped 44 points! I then anxiously checked my TU FICO score and...*deep gasp*...it dropped 27 points! Man! What a bummer...

Now, I have also read that often even an aged negative TL will positively effect the average history of your overall report. But c'mon, how in the hell can a negative public record more than 6 years old be helping me in any way? That has to be some sort of myth, right? Like an urban credit repair legend or something. WRONG! The myth is real and I now believe.

The title of this post was of course in jest. On a serious note though, I have learned that credit scores are not the pressing issue. Learning and working to possess a clean, error-free report coupled with responsible use of credit is what's important. The scores will undoubtedly follow as a result. This mindset has now been instilled in me largely due to my decision to join this forum.

Peace, (still can't find that peace smilie)

Ray

Congrats on the judgment removal.

Maybe the system burped when they were calculating your score and it will bounce back next month. :)

700 - wow. I hope I see that someday. I keep hovering near the 600 mark and just can't seem to get there! When I do get over 600, I'll throw a big party and max out all my credit cards!!!! JUST KIDDING!

I'm kinda between y'all.

My TU FAKO just hit 672 and seemingly has nowhere to go but up. The others are hovering around 600 and (gasp) somehow I had a late payment hit me on a relatively new TL-- something I must have missed while sick recently.

Without that late payment, I could have cruised a few more months and just waited for some new history to build. Now, I have to push to get the last few baddies off the reports to (hopefully) offset the late payment.

Life is nothing if not challenging. :)

You have the right attitude about FICO scores, ray. With a clean report and responsible use of credit they will continue to keep increasing. Besides, we all know that FICO scores aren't the be all and end all to lenders. If a lender does a manual review of your reports then it's definitely a plus to have that paid judgement gone.

I think so too, Breathing. Actually, I found the situation fairly amusing and just felt like writing about it. That in itself was a good feeling...to be able to decipher the difference between truly making progress and the fluid inconsistencies of the scores.

It was due to drop in 01/2007 anyway. I was gonna face the impact either way more than likely.

Congrats on the judgment removal.

Maybe the system burped when they were calculating your score and it will bounce back next month. :)

Thanks, Mom! As I said, its good that its gone. We'll see about the system. Regardless, it'll be back strong through my behavior and not their silly-as* process. I'm counting on that! :)