ctmgr

Is there anyway to have fun with this?

I got a call yesterday from a collection agency about a cable bill from July.

I knew that all my bills have been paid in full, so I had no idea what they were talking about.

Afterward, I dig in to past statements and realized that I had received a cut-off notice dated 7/20 for $30.

I paid the $30 + the current bill on 7/22. So the account was never cut off and the balance is current.

However, it seems that through someone's oversight at the cable co., they mistakenly turned the claim over to collection.

I would love the chance to sock it to the CA since they have no claim. Any suggestions?

Another question:

Upon further review, the letter that I received from the cable company dated 7/20 reported a due date of 7/30. Since it was paid on 7/22 and they still (apparently erroneously) turned it over (or sold it) to a CA, is there any violation by the OC.

I spoke to the OC yesterday and they are showing a 0 balance and had no idea what happened.

I concur with Nascar it maybe their error but at what cost to you

They could end up doing more damage to your CR and even though it could be removed this could take some time.. I doubt they will haul you into court for 30.00... I guess my question is why go through all that for a clerical error...

Even if it is a clerical error, you need to DV them, or lose the right to it forever. Remember that they do not have to cease collection on a debt that was not DV'ed within the 30 day limit.

DV works the same for any CA, whether you owe, don't owe, already paid, or whatever.

I have not received my miranda or mini-miranda, yet.

According to CT law, they have 5 days to send it.

No one at the cable co. seem to know what I was talking about since there is no outstanding balance. I was transferred to 4 different billing departments. Is it possible that they called them off? How would I know?

Also, I was reading on the 3rd party communication. That means that they cannot talk to anyone else in my household about this, right?