Did Providian reage my account?

penman

I had an old account with Providian that was scheduled to fall of my

experian credit report in January of 2007- just three months from now.It only shows up on experian.

I disputed it with Experian it would fall off now as I am trying to get my experian

fico score up. It is 634.

It came back friday as verified and updated and now it said it will not fall of my experian report for another "ten" years in September of 2016.

The record from experian indicates that it was purchased by another lender

but does not give the name of the lender that purchased it.The date of last activity was in Janaury of 2000.

My question is where do I go from here. Will this really hurt my experian score because it was"updated" in Septermber 2006. Also does "updated" mean there was activity on the account so the seven year clock can begin again.

I would appreciate any direction on how to deal with this so that it can drop

from report in January 2007. Thanks.

Penman

Does your EX actually tell you when the TL should fall from your report? For all of mine, EX only gives the history (but no date of when it will be removed). TU is the only CRA that I know of that gives that date; EQ usually gives the DOFMD or DOLA.

Also, the only thing that can reset the 7-yr reporting period is bringing the account current. Once an account is CO & sold, there's no chance of that happening, so the DOFD should not have changed. In my experience, anytime a negative TL is "updated", my score would take a dip. But the only way to know for sure is to purchase your scores to see.

Originally Posted by penman

I received my credit report from Experian dated 7-31-2006. On the report it shows a section entitled “Status Details”. And it read”this account is scheduled to continue on record until December 2006.” I went ahead and disputed it as “not mine” and it came back verified and now the “Status Details” reads that the account has been updated and will remain on my record until 2016- another ten years. There has been no activity at all on this account since the year 2000.

Am I stuck or can I continue to dispute this? I should have left this one alone and waited until December when it would have fallen of. Thanks for your help.

Penman

Does your EX actually tell you when the TL should fall from your report? For all of mine, EX only gives the history (but no date of when it will be removed). TU is the only CRA that I know of that gives that date; EQ usually gives the DOFMD or DOLA.

Yeah, EX does this now too.

Penman, this is one of those times where calling EX and explaining what happened here might do some good. Reporting is not "activity," and they certainly can't add 10 YEARS to the 7 it's already been on your report. For crying out loud!! :roll:

One question, though... is this TL definitely on the negative side of the ledger?

Try disputing the balance or whatever it is that's wrong w/ the TL. If it still comes back as being reported correctly, then you'll need to dispute directly w/ Providian. They should be able to provide you w/ statements (or something) showing when you went delinquent on this account. Read the "Dispute w/ Original Creditors" link @ the top. It should be able to guide you.

LNY- Yes it is an old account and was scheduled to fall of my experian credit report in December 2006.This TL only shows up on Experian. I guess I jumped the gun. Past the sol. It does show it was sold to another lender. No activity on this account for a long time.

LNY- Yes it is an old account and was scheduled to fall of my experian credit report in December 2006.This TL only shows up on Experian. I guess I jumped the gun. Past the sol. It does show it was sold to another lender. No activity on this account for a long time.

Call EX. Ask to speak to a supervisor if necessary. Ask them how an account, especially one that last had activity 7 years ago, can possibly remain on your report for... uh, like SEVENTEEN YEARS?!

• 1 month later...

if you want statements from them file a complaint with the state banking dept

and demand the statements under the FDCPA which then they have to send you them free if you ask providian they will say they don't have statements or they will say that they will charge your account $5.00 for each copy