Jump to content

Attention Katrina Victims - Look at your 1099-C closely


Recommended Posts

If you were a Hurricane Katrina victim, you may not have to report a 1099-C as income (Cancellation of a Debt).

1099-Cs are often filed by Junk Debt Buyers, Original Creditors and Collection Agencies after a debt is settled. See the instructions at the back of the 1099-C for more information.

Further, programs that allow students to get a loan forgiven (in exchange for contract work requirements), could also cause a OC to kick out a 1099-C. Depending on the amounts, these can really sting and could even put you in arrears with the IRS if you aren't prepared to pay for the increased income tax (through W-2 withholding).

As part of the relief effort, settled debt may not have to be counted as taxable income to you.

Talk with your tax professional if you were in the Katrina disaster and received a 1099-C from your creditor(s).

If you previously received a 1099-C last year and reported this as income, you might be able to file a IRS Form 1040-X to have the amount from the 1099-C removed off your Adjusted Gross Income, resulting in a refund.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.