anuva

Can CA still restrain account if...

My only checking account has been restraint by a CA for almost a year now. Obviously I have not used that account at all since then. I just got a letter from the bank saying if I don't take action, that account will be declared 'dormant' and handed over to the state due to no activity. If this account does get handed over to the state, what becomes of the $6000 hold/restraint the collection agency has on the account?

TIA

the hold is for $6000 (twice what I'm in debt for) and it happened sometime before Thanksgiving last year (not sure why i said 'recent' before) and grandma suffered a stroke, so things aren't looking up for anyone anymore

i just wanna know what happens if/when the state takes that account?

and I think with dormant accounts, the state or the bank gets to keep the money. i don't think you get that back. and since the creditor's not getting it, i bet they still come after you.

i figured they will still come after me but in what way? being that they can't do anything with my account anymore (and that I don't have any others). are they gonna be even more mad and try to take my dog or something?

i'm guessing they have a judgement against you, or are in the process of suing you. if the bank account goes away, they will pursue whatever other legal means are available to them in your state to get their money.

i'm in new york state...

so basically if I let the state take it, the CA will still be after me in some other legal way since they can't restrain my bank account anymore and I would lose the $250 sitting in there now???

I have no assets, no bank account and I don't own anything... what could they do to me next legally?

Wait,first you say there's $6,000 in the account, and now you say there's only $250 in it. WHICH IS IT ?? The judgment creditor isn't going to release the hold on your bank account until you make some arrangements to pay the judgment. The money that WAS in that account should have been turned over to the judgment creditor a long time ago, but they can only have WHAT YOU OWE, not TWICE the amount the BANK puts the hold on. If the judgment creditor has been paid in full, then you need to DO something to get the levy removed from your account.