HBC

Must Have a SS#? For Credit Score?

Do you HAVE to have a SS# in order for the bureaus to generate a credit score? I've heard both ways.

OK,

Can you get a CR without a SS#? Let's say........with some other form of ID + DOB + Foreign ID or Passport or something.

How would an immigrant without a SS # get a CR and Score? in order to finance anything?

Well, a SS# indicates that you are able to work (either as a citizen or as a permanent resident), which is likely something a company offering finance would like to see.

I think he already did :roll: .

No. Every answer is rewarded with another cryptic clue as to what the situation might be. We need to be told, "this is is the situation, these are the circumstances, this is what I need to know" as opposed to a trail of crumbs that will eventually lead to that after 20 posts.:)

So the question should be - Can I obtain credit without a SS#?

Am I correct?

Unless you have credit that shows up on a CR, you won't have a score. People often kick start their credit with a secured credit card. Try going to local bank or credit union to see if they can give you a secured card that reports to the credit bureaus.

Also, if you are a student you can obtain a SS# if you decide to work on campus.

Yes you can obtain credit without a SSN. Other identifying information can be used such as an Employer Identification Number (EIN), or a Immigrant ID number (the good ole green-card).

You will have a hard time of it. Most banks, creditors, and even utility companies want an SSN and may, at first, refuse to grant credit/services without it.

BUT, it is not required. It is only their internal policy. As a matter of fact, under Federal law it is illegal to coerce a person into revealing their SSN...punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Even the IRS does not require a SSN. The IRS regulations only require a name and address for filing any forms.

As the OP has described him or herself as a Credit Advocate, I was wondering if perhaps this question was on behalf of someone else, in which case the circumstances would be helpful in pointing us in the direction of the precise answers needed.

As a matter of fact, under Federal law it is illegal to coerce a person into revealing their SSN...punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Could I have refused to give my electric company my SSN?

Is it illegal to lie and say you don't have one, if you're not a US citizen?

LNY,

It's my job to know all of the details. It's random question but one that has risen on occasions. I'm the Credit Advocate for the largest home builder in the US. Thousands of people would like to purchase a home w/ us............there obviously have been and will be people residing the US that have yet to aquire a SS number and would like to be home owners. I have my own thoughts about the probability of financing but appreciate the input from anyone who may know the answer w/ out doubt. Thank you so much.

As the OP has described him or herself as a Credit Advocate, I was wondering if perhaps this question was on behalf of someone else, in which case the circumstances would be helpful in pointing us in the direction of the precise answers needed.

How difficult is is to decipher the question? Wow. I'll re-state for those who are having a difficult time with this topic.

"Do you HAVE to have a SS# in order for the bureaus to generate a credit score?"

I feel as though my occupation has little bearing or makes little difference as to why I'm asking the question. Do you wish to have the contact information of my client.......I think not.......how about an address.......come on!.........or a SS#........OH, WAIT! That's why I was asking the "simple" question......the client doesn't have one......duh.

I have found the forum to be very beneficial at times, but, the few "rogue agents" are a bit annoying.

Yes you can obtain credit without a SSN. Other identifying information can be used such as an Employer Identification Number (EIN), or a Immigrant ID number (the good ole green-card).

You will have a hard time of it. Most banks, creditors, and even utility companies want an SSN and may, at first, refuse to grant credit/services without it.

BUT, it is not required. It is only their internal policy. As a matter of fact, under Federal law it is illegal to coerce a person into revealing their SSN...punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Even the IRS does not require a SSN. The IRS regulations only require a name and address for filing any forms.

LNY

Now THIS is an answer to my query. Thank you SO much.