Newbe, sporto, greenhorn, rookie....

SuckerFree

Well here I am. At 25 I had an apartment manager tell me I had the best credit he had ever seen for a man my age. At 34, I can't even get a bank account...Sigh. I have been reading this board for several weeks now and feel I am ready to take corrective action. Only problem is, this board is so good, it sometimes has TOO much information.

Credit report pulled. I have about 7 rinky dink charge-offs. 95$-250.00. A 2200 Dentist bill that comes off in 05/07. And a fattie at an apartment for 3400 (joint account) that I must deal with. Fico = 530:( .

So, what i'm looking for is a course of action. I guess i'm going to DV most of them at one shot. then wait, and do a round two and hope for the best. From there, can I settle these small ones and actually have them removed completely? I'd rather not pay if they are just going to show, paid, 0 balance, unless that helps. In the meantime I will try for "shoe-in's". Chevron, CJ...etc. Anyone have any advice? I'm really worried about making a major boo-boo right in the beginning of the game. Thanks in advance.

Here's my opinion.......

I'd start with the Stickies first. They will walk you through the process. Look at all of the forums that apply to you, not just Credit Repair. Also, look at the links at the top of the page. I would really think about buying Kristy's book, "Good Credit is Sexy".

If you are having trouble opening a bank account, then you also need to do a search on Chexsystems, or Checksystem (I can't remember how to spell it :roll: ).

You are going to want to get very organized from the beginning. Make sure you printed out all your reports, and then look through them all with a fine tooth comb. It helps to do some sort of spreadsheet so you can compare how each TL is reporting on all 3 CRAs. You are going to want to do some research into what your state SOLs are. You need to print out the FDCPA and the FCRA and read those as well.

That's a start. After you've done all that, come back with specific questions (of course after searching for the answers first :) ).

Good luck.

Here's my opinion.......

I'd start with the Stickies first. They will walk you through the process. Look at all of the forums that apply to you, not just Credit Repair. Also, look at the links at the top of the page. I would really think about buying Kristy's book, "Good Credit is Sexy".

If you are having trouble opening a bank account, then you also need to do a search on Chexsystems, or Checksystem (I can't remember how to spell it :roll: ).

You are going to want to get very organized from the beginning. Make sure you printed out all your reports, and then look through them all with a fine tooth comb. It helps to do some sort of spreadsheet so you can compare how each TL is reporting on all 3 CRAs. You are going to want to do some research into what your state SOLs are. You need to print out the FDCPA and the FCRA and read those as well.

That's a start. After you've done all that, come back with specific questions (of course after searching for the answers first :) ).

Good luck.

Newbie, you're getting so good at this that you might have to change your username... ;)

Yeah... what Newbie said!!

Newbie, you're getting so good at this that you might have to change your username... ;)

Yeah... what Newbie said!!

But would ya'll still know who I am???? :lol:

That should be on the Posting 101: remember when you come up with your log in name....you won't be a newbie forever!!!!!!

But would ya'll still know who I am???? :lol:

That should be on the Posting 101: remember when you come up with your log in name....you won't be a newbie forever!!!!!!

Well, I thought it was pretty specific. I challenge anyone here to go read the stickies and not find at least a dozen conflicting ideas, solutions.

Credit report pulled. I have about 7 rinky dink charge-offs. 95$-250.00. A 2200 Dentist bill that comes off in 05/07. And a fattie at an apartment for 3400 (joint account) that I must deal with. Fico = 530:( .

So, what i'm looking for is a course of action. I guess i'm going to DV most of them at one shot. then wait, and do a round two and hope for the best. From there, can I settle these small ones and actually have them removed completely? I'd rather not pay if they are just going to show, paid, 0 balance, unless that helps. In the meantime I will try for "shoe-in's". Chevron, CJ...etc. Anyone have any advice? I'm really worried about making a major boo-boo right in the beginning of the game. Thanks in advance.

Here's the problem I'm having with it. You say "credit report pulled"...does that mean you've only pulled one report and haven't pulled all 3? That's a must.

You say you have 7 CO. Are they all being reported by CAs or are the still with the OC? How long ago did they CO? Are they still within your state's SOL? Is there anything wrong with the way they are being reported? Are they reporting the same information to all 3 CRAs?

Have you searched this forum for each OC/CA to see what other's experiences with them have been?

Remember that this forum is actually attached to a website dedicated entirely to credit issues, have you read through that? There is a actually a questionnaire on the site that you can fill out and it will tell you exactly where to start.

Your question is in fact not "simple" as there are many variables you may not have taken into consideration yet. I gave you the best advice I can for starting out. When I came here my DH had scores below 500 (yes, I said below) and now he is slightly over 600 with some major changes in the works. It is possible, it does take time, and the advice given works!

Newbie. This is a copy of your very first post. I wish someone would have been there to attack you for not knowing everything as it is very similar to mine.

Reported differently to all 3 CRA's?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just this month began the credit repair process--thanks to lucking onto this site . I have a question that may have been answered somewhere else, if so I'm sorry.

I have read several times in different posts about getting deletions when an account is reported differently to the 3 CRA's. How do I actually use the different reports to my advantage? Do I call or write each CRA and explain the discrepancy, do a DV based on the discepancy, etc.

Again. not sure how to dispute. Thanks for all your help!

Just checking in...

While it may seem there is conflicting information, keep in mind that most posts are dealing with specific situations, and therefore the responses apply directly to those situations. When you are dealing with State Law, FDCPA or FCRA issues things are *mostly* cut and dried. Of course then there is case law that applies to those as well that may cloud some issues.

The best bet is to read, read, read and then go back and do it again. Not everyone here agrees to the best defenses or the best methods. There are many ways to skin a chicken and some work better for others-again depending on situation.

Good luck on your long and winding road. Remember that it took time to get into the credit mess so it will also take time to get out. But get out you can.

Just for the record, my intent was in no way meant to attack you. I was trying to point in the direction for you to be able to ask for and get the specific response you want.

Let's say you have an account that is still with an OC. For most states, you can't DV an OC. I can't speak to which states you can, but you'd have to check your own state statutes. Some states, like Texas for example, have really great debtor laws, while others follow only the Federal guidelines like MS where I am now. I can't begin to tell you how much I wish I had found this site prior to leaving TX!!!!

Another example would be if you have an account with Unifund. They notoriously sue. Or CMI, which will only send you crap for the most part and not budge on the TL.

You could have an account that is owned by a JDB, purchased for pennies on the dollar, and out of SOL. In that case, your plan of attack would be different.

You could potentially have accounts that are still reporting on your CR that should have already fallen off and have been re-aged. Same thing, your plan would be different.

That's all I was trying to say.

Thanks, but since I assume your debts were mostly in Texas, isn't that the guidline you would use. I'm kinda in the same boat. All my debts are in Michigan where I lived. Now, I am in Arizona. I assume the laws regarding the debts take place in the state in which they occured. BTW all my debts are owned by JDB's. So my plan was to DV all of them. Then try and settle. SOL will only effect one of them. I will have to deal with the rest.