Received Collection Notice, Need advice

TradeStar28

A few months ago, I received a collection notice from Vel ocity Investments on a Providian Charge off from 2003. Prior to Velocity attempting to collect, I had A$$ET on my tail for a few years on the same Providian Chargeoff. I disputed the Asset negatives on all 3 CR's and they finally fell off recently and gave up on collecting....So i figured I didnt need to respond to Vel ocity since they werent reporting to any CRA's.

To make a long story short, I received a letter from attorney debt collector thats local in area, Malen & Associates. The said "in view of your failure to make satisfactory arraingements with above named client (Velocity Investments), they have referred your outstanding balance to our office...

Basically they are asking for over 5 grand.

Since I didnt DV Vel ocity in a timely fashion, should I -

1) Send only attorney debt collector a DV

2) Send both attorney debt collector and Vel ocity a DV

3) Disregard this letter all together and pray for no judgement

How can these JDBs pop up out of no where and then hire these ahole law firms to collect on something they have no interest in other than probably paying pennies for the debt ?

Need advice , ASAP, thank you. (reside in NY)

I received a letter from them also over a month ago. I did DV, and haven't heard a peep back from them. Other than their website the only info I found on them is their court dates mostly in NJ and NY. E. Norris replied to a post stating there were no cases against them for FDCPA violations, so I imagine they don't mess around, but get straight to business. If you have garnishable wages or have assests I wouldn't assume that they will not pursue you.

If this debt fell off your reports because it was more than 7-1/2 years since last payment, then it is most likely past the SOL for legal action - unless you live in OH.

I think the DOLA is either December of 2002 or December of 2003....

This seems to be a big trend now and it looks to be getting worse...

New JDB steps in, they send a few letters. If ignored they have relationships with law firms in area that you reside who are just waiting to sue.

I thought that us consumers were starting to have a fighting chance but it seems that the CA's have swung the pendulum back to their side.

It looks like SOL for New York is 6 yrs across the board. Unfortunately, it looks like you won't have the "absolute defense" strategy at your disposal. So, not exactly a junk debt. I'm sure that's why they're pursuing this matter.

Have you attempted settlement, yet?

If it were me, I'd send a DV to the "attorney collector" and see what happens. If nothing else, you have the right to request validation of this debt to be sure it is your debt.

Elyse

Remember that anyone acting as a collector is still just that and subject to FDCPA-Even Attorneys... Don't let them scare ya!

Also, the JDB is huge... remember when one goes away, they re-sell it and another one will pop up somewhere along the line. I get them about every 6 months for stuff that is almost 20 years old...

Remember that anyone acting as a collector is still just that and subject to FDCPA-Even Attorneys... Don't let them scare ya!

Also, the JDB is huge... remember when one goes away, they re-sell it and another one will pop up somewhere along the line. I get them about every 6 months for stuff that is almost 20 years old...

SERIOUSLY?? 20 years old.. that amazes me.... geez these people are like roaches.. ever had one try to sue out of the SOL?