driver26girl

Class Action Against Unifund in NC?

for what.. Unifund is nearly untouchable here.. they recieved the permit to collect in NC about two years ago... my lawyer said she gets about 8 cases a week regarding them.. sadly many times they have enough to get a judgement unless you are out of SOL.. so far that has not be the case with the ones she recieved.

Go to BudHibbs.com.. for info on them and yes they have had a class action (not here) but they are huge, and its pocket change to them.....They have been VERY busy in our state , because as one person told me.. most people never even show up for court regarding them.. they tried to drag me in three times.. they made it so tough that my lawyer did settle all three cases for less then 50% one case took well over a year...

they have had statements everytime I had to go to court including a copy of my last payment... the judge here sides with them 95% of the time.. even my lawyers have thrown up their hands...most of them get settled out of court unless someone takes a default.... she gets about 8-10 new cases a week from them.. they are the largest in our area right now

what are you basing a suit on ?..

My lawyer has looked into it when she first started getting these cases.. and SO FAR are playing above board in NC.. even the AG's office credit card division has noticed and influx in suits here but they have nothing to go after them for.. doesnt mean they are not playing by the rules.. but so far they have managed to stay under the wire. And as one judge told me you can sue anyone for anything.. they are trying to shoot fish in a barrell and get out with some free $$$

You have not mentioned why you feel a class action is necessary... what exactly are you basing it on.. yes they are scum and yes they do change CR which of course is illegal.. but so far I have yet to meet anyone that wants the aggravation .. if you find someone on your end let me know.. what they do, like other JDB's is shameless , and immoral of course, but illegal.. not according to the AG.. not yet anyway...

Also in NC we do not have many lawyers here that will deal with class actions such as this one.. my lawyer went to a town two hours away to confer on this.. I know ONE woman in Raleigh who handles this type of thing but won't touch Unifund and a few others and the nearest one to our state is a guy named Leonard Bennett who is in VA Beach who will look it over but you need to have a TON of info.... not trying to disuade you.. after a year of dealing with them I admit its not worth my time.... I think if you want to go for it , feel free of course but be prepared for a long battle... and if I can help in anyway let me know...

I don't think I have enough to go up against them either. Just thought someone else might. They just make me so mad the way that they deal with people and are able to get away with it. I just hope I have enough to win my case. I am a full-time nursing student with no job at this time. If they win a judgment against me, I don't know how I would pay it at this time. Plus all the added stress doesn't help......since I am trying to worry about nursing tests, clinicals, etc. I just want a decision but now I'm afraid the court may rule in their favor. The time is up on 12/15. Does this mean I will get a court date after this or that the judge will decide by reading both parties replys. I don't know much about the court system. I disputed with the CRAs and they verified but the date of last activity is still wrong and they still need not report the account as disputed.