Self Employed???

You need to consult with an attorney to get yourself properly setup in whatever business form you choose - S-corp, LLC, etc. Each one has pros and cons. A CPA can explain the tax repercussions of being self-employed. From experience, I can tell you that you will have to file quarterly taxes, you will have to pay ALL of the SS taxes - both employer and employee portions. I believe that's 26%, 13% of which you can use on your taxes as a deduction.

Also, self employed can deduct the full cost of medical insurance.

Being SE can be a pain too. I would weigh the pros and cons before considering it. (I was a 1099 contract programmer, which is essentially SE.) Yes, the SS tax takes a big bite!! Also, if you fail to pay your quarterly taxes, the penalty is BIG!

Beiong self employed is not all it's cracked up to be. The Self Employment tax is a biggie: you can't get around it ( unless you only take cash).

Being a one man corporation means nothing to a bank: you will likely still have to sign personally for any money you borrow. it gives you no special cache. Whether or not you need a coporate shell will depend on a lot of things, including the type of business you are in and whether you have employees and the like. Many choose a corporate shell for the limited liability it gives. That is important, but talk with your insurance agent about available coverage to cover the risks inherent in your business.