State Central Collection Units

Gandolf

Has anyone dealt with them before? I had a university bill go to the Maryland Central Collections unit and it is now being reported on one of my 3 reports as a key delinquency, which dropped my score over 100 points. I have set up a repayment plan and am paying it off at a fast rate, but I am wondering if there's even any leverage to do pay for deletes. They can simply withhold my taxes when I do my taxes if it's not paid by then.

Anyone have any luck removing these from your credit report, and is fo how? I am thinking disputing with the CRAs once it's paid is the best bet. Any other ideas?

You may consider requesting that they validate the debt if this is some fashion of collection entity. If not, you may elect to dispute the tradelines now in hopes they fail to respond or to mark the account in dispute (violation under the FCRA).

Would they be required to mark the tradeline in dispute even after it is paid if I dispute?

I know of a case where the person owed the State and her income tax was taken as an "tax offset" which then left a "0" balance. She was able to contact them (creditor) and ask them to send her a letter stating the "0" balance and requesting it removed from the credit report. They obliged and it is now removed:roll! What would possibly have worked better if when you set up payments, you had a contingency set up that once the final payment is complete, the collection account be removed from all three bureaus. :roll:

After thinking it over and thinking about what has been said in this thread, I decided to pay the Central Collection Unit account in full. Although I used my Amex card to do so (not getting me any further out of debt), I figured this might prevent the account from showing up on my other 2 CRs. Just for the hell of it, I asked the representative if I could get it deleted from my CRs since it was now PIF. To my surprise she said yes and gave me a phone number to call once the payment had cleared. So, I am cautiously optimistic that I dodged a bullet on this one.