Collection question

volsfan16

I received a letter from a collection Agency (Afni for Verizon). The number stated on it is not a valid number. It is an Ohio number which I did live there about 12-13 years ago. I dont remember what my phone number was there either. BUT I do know that the number stated on the letter is not one I had since the area code was not implemented until 2001, I have lived in New Jersey for about 9 (I moved here in 1997) years now. I have a letter ready to send to them asking for phone records, showing this number and the address where this number is/was. I know the SOL in Ohio for this is 15 years, at least I'm pretty sure.

I dont mind paying it if it's valid but I have a feeling they will not supply me with the information I want and will go after me with a judgement since it's almost $500, I think it's a pretty pathetic attempt at some cash, seems to me they're desperate but I've seen them go after bills under $100. I hear Afnit is ruthless and I know they all prey on the fact that debtors aren't educated to the laws of debt.

What should I do?

Thanks

Send them a DV letter. I had the same thing happen with them about 3 years ago. It was even in Ohio. The address was right, I had lived there, but not when the account was opened. It was a rental and I think the new tennants might have found enough info in my mail to open the account. The number was not mine and it was opened after I moved and bought my house.

I called them (AFNI) and told them it wasn't mine and never heard anything else about it. But just to be sure I would follow the DV steps and dispute it.

Assuming for a second that this is a cell phone bill from 12-13 years ago, I don't even think Verizon existed then. They were still Bell Atlantic at the time I think.

Just checked wiki, and Verizon didn't come into existence until 2000. Of course, they didn't even operate in Ohio anyway so I am assuming that you had some type of service from some provider that was eventually swallowed up by Verizon or one of the companies that created the merger.

I dunno about AFNI being ruthless, but living in NJ you are covered by a 6 year SOLC now.

So back on topic... whatever letter you wrote would probably be good. Sounds like you are disputing to me. Whatever you do, please don't copy and paste some letter off the internet asking for signed contracts, proof of SOL, blood samples and your DNA.

If nothing else, make sure the phrase "I am disputing this debt completely" exists in some phrase early in the letter.

This debt is too old to report to your credit file and too old to collect in a court of law.

Does the SOL info I need for NJ where I live now or OH where the debt is????

It was a regular phone bill.

And you're right Verizon wasnt established until 2000.

So I am guessing they got it wrong totally or someone did open an account in my name since the area code is 937 which started in 2001 and I was here in NJ at that time.

I have proof as far as my residency (since I lived with friends when I first moved here) here in NJ since 1997 using my payroll stubs.

This is very frustrating and with my luck it will be valid and I'll be stuck paying $500 for something I never had.

I sent my letter out today (certified since it's going to a PO box). I also see that this debt is NOT on any of my credit reports.

I also just paid another debt for Sprint/Verizon that I is not on my credit report, but I didnt know of this site when that was going on. So I forked over $300 for something that probably wasn't mine.

So if/when I hear something from Afni and it's not good news, then I'm sure I'll be back.

Also, since I havent lived in Ohio for at least 12 years can they go back to Bell Atlantic and when the area code was 513 instead of 937?

I still wouldn't know if that number was mine or not.

One of the new 937 area code companies that were "swallowed up" by Verizon was MCI in the Clinton Co. Ohio area. It happened around 2001.

That is where the BS Verizon bill that showed up three years after I moved had the address for.

Odd mine was for $498 and change. Maybe they are picking people at random and sending the same bogus bill.

Real simple - I knew for sure the account couldn't have been mine. I was able to clearly articulate a reason why it couldn't be mine. So, life was easy - I called the local PD and reported identity theft. I never even filed a police report, just got an incident number. Here in Cali, they also give you a very official looking letter from the local PD informing all parties in the incident that they are required to immediately send any and all information pertaining to this case to me.

I faxed that over along with the little card I got with the incident number and presto! problem solved.