Someone who knows tell me.....

If I am on the right track. I am sending DV letters to just about everyone on my CR Monday. I will wait, for a response even though its well over the initial 30 day contact from them. Some of these accounts are 5 years old. I am praying that some will be deleted. I was told to NOT contact the CRA until I send out DV letters and get a response or no response. Does this sound right, someone please stop me if I am making a mistake. I know some of these accounts are mine but they are so old and I have not heard from them in forever. I dont know if a few are ligit though so I would like validation.

There are lots of theories on how to make this work...but, IMHO, you start your disputes with the CRAs. You can do it online through www.annualcreditreport.com and the CRA web sites. You see what falls off and then send DV letters to the rest...

And even though you might think "...some of these accounts are mine..." you need to realize that the whole credit reporting stuff is full of errors, which is one of the reasons why the FDCPA and FCRA were created. If anybody puts a derogatory mark on your CRs, you have the right to make them prove the account is yours. And, the fact that the three major CRAs rarely agree with each other is another indication that things get screwed up..

Once again, check out the "debt validation" flowchart for guidance...

There are lots of theories on how to make this work...but, IMHO, you start your disputes with the CRAs. You can do it online through www.annualcreditreport.com and the CRA web sites. You see what falls off and then send DV letters to the rest...

And even though you might think "...some of these accounts are mine..." you need to realize that the whole credit reporting stuff is full of errors, which is one of the reasons why the FDCPA and FCRA were created. If anybody puts a derogatory mark on your CRs, you have the right to make them prove the account is yours. And, the fact that the three major CRAs rarely agree with each other is another indication that things get screwed up..

Once again, check out the "debt validation" flowchart for guidance...

I am sorry if I seem like a pain, lol...I have read so much my head is hurting. I have wrong address's on our CRA reports and also I have not recieved letters from most of these creditors in years. So I should email the CRA and dispute them first rather then send dv letters. Will the CRA investigate for me? I know most of these are mine but I am afraid if I get the CRA on their butts that they wont work with me for PFD later on if proven mine.

Don't worry about being a pain. Ask questions until you have a plan that feels right for you. You'll get a lot of conficting advice here, and what worked for others may not work for you. The important thing to realize though, is just because you owed money to someone in the past, doesn't mean the people hassling you now have the right person and the right to collect. CAs and JDBs are trained to get the money first, and ignore the details.

I can't tell you exactly what's right to do in your situation, but here's a couple of other points to consider...

1. If you don't need good FICO scores right now and if nobodies been hassling you for awhile, maybe the best thing to do is nothing. Check the SOL laws for your state...if the debts become uncollectable in a year or two, and they're close to the 7-1/2 year fall off on your CRs, then maybe just letting them go away would work.

2. The CRAs use computers to validate stuff. If the CRAs computer sends a message to the creditor's computer and the creditor's computer doesn't answer, then your TL falls off. Does happen some times. On the other hand, if the creditor's computer still has a record of your (supposed) debt, it will say "yep", and the CRA will tell you its validated. Chances are very good that no human is involved either way. The creditor's computer may notify its operators that a dispute was filed, but, it probably won't hurt you any way.

3. So...get the wrong address fixed. Dispute. See what falls off. If what's left includes CAs...DV them...make them prove they have the right to collect.

And...if you need to, ask more questions. We'll help if we can...

Don't worry about being a pain. Ask questions until you have a plan that feels right for you. You'll get a lot of conficting advice here, and what worked for others may not work for you. The important thing to realize though, is just because you owed money to someone in the past, doesn't mean the people hassling you now have the right person and the right to collect. CAs and JDBs are trained to get the money first, and ignore the details.

I can't tell you exactly what's right to do in your situation, but here's a couple of other points to consider...

1. If you don't need good FICO scores right now and if nobodies been hassling you for awhile, maybe the best thing to do is nothing. Check the SOL laws for your state...if the debts become uncollectable in a year or two, and they're close to the 7-1/2 year fall off on your CRs, then maybe just letting them go away would work.

2. The CRAs use computers to validate stuff. If the CRAs computer sends a message to the creditor's computer and the creditor's computer doesn't answer, then your TL falls off. Does happen some times. On the other hand, if the creditor's computer still has a record of your (supposed) debt, it will say "yep", and the CRA will tell you its validated. Chances are very good that no human is involved either way. The creditor's computer may notify its operators that a dispute was filed, but, it probably won't hurt you any way.

3. So...get the wrong address fixed. Dispute. See what falls off. If what's left includes CAs...DV them...make them prove they have the right to collect.

And...if you need to, ask more questions. We'll help if we can...

So even if I email Transunion, which is who I am looking at now from the Annualcredit report, and tell them I want to dispute some things, if it is validated on their end do they have to supply me with proof? It seems to me like its easier for the CRA to validate then the CA's. I dont know though.

When and If things are validated from the CRA then I send DV letters to the CA's.

See the important thing for us is we NEED our Fico Score to go up. Its low, I am embarrassed to even say how low. It is about 100 points lower then 6 months ago.

So even if I email Transunion, which is who I am looking at now from the Annualcredit report, and tell them I want to dispute some things, if it is validated on their end do they have to supply me with proof?
No, not at first. You have to then send them an MOV (method of validation) request which forces them to show you how they validated. But again, that may not be actual proof.
It seems to me like its easier for the CRA to validate then the CA's. I dont know though.
True, but then its also easier for things to just fall off, because they can't validate. On the other hand, sending a DV to a CA is supposed to force them to go back to the OC for proof.
When and If things are validated from the CRA then I send DV letters to the CA's.
Right.
See the important thing for us is we NEED our Fico Score to go up. Its low, I am embarrassed to even say how low. It is about 100 points lower then 6 months ago.
No need to be embarssed. Stuff happens. None of us woke up one money and thought "gee, I'm going to go get myself in debt I can't handle". And, its not like we just made the wrong choices...the credit system is set up to make us fail. A debt who pays their bills every month doesn't make the OC as much money as some one who only makes the minimum payment and gets socked with interest. And, if that debtor happens to run into a string of bad luck, and defaults, the penalties and interest and tax breaks are like found money....

No, not at first. You have to then send them an MOV (method of validation) request which forces them to show you how they validated. But again, that may not be actual proof.

True, but then its also easier for things to just fall off, because they can't validate. On the other hand, sending a DV to a CA is supposed to force them to go back to the OC for proof.

Right.

No need to be embarssed. Stuff happens. None of us woke up one money and thought "gee, I'm going to go get myself in debt I can't handle". And, its not like we just made the wrong choices...the credit system is set up to make us fail. A debt who pays their bills every month doesn't make the OC as much money as some one who only makes the minimum payment and gets socked with interest. And, if that debtor happens to run into a string of bad luck, and defaults, the penalties and interest and tax breaks are like found money....

Thanks for all the advice. I am right now writing letters to the CRA because my address are all wrong. They are asking for proof and I have to enclose a check or something. I am writing for the addy change. There is a section on the AnnualReport for online dispute, is that ok to do for them or mail a letter?

I did my first round of disputes online (just in case, make sure you're looking at www.annualcreditreport.com not the "freecreditreport.com" thing...that's a pay-per-view site put up by one of the CRAs). You have to go to each of the CRAs web sites...

But...if you're at the point where you need to send proof...then a CMRRR letter is the way to go..I think most people just send copies of SS card and driver's license...you'll have to search in the "Credit Bureaus" forum to be sure.

I did my first round of disputes online (just in case, make sure you're looking at www.annualcreditreport.com not the "freecreditreport.com" thing...that's a pay-per-view site put up by one of the CRAs). You have to go to each of the CRAs web sites...

But...if you're at the point where you need to send proof...then a CMRRR letter is the way to go..I think most people just send copies of SS card and driver's license...you'll have to search in the "Credit Bureaus" forum to be sure.

I am at the AnnualReport and I am going to mail them tomorrow for the addy Changes. It wont let me do that online.

So you did your first round of disputes online? Do they ask for a reason of dispute? Like, its not mine or I dont know what that is? I am looking at transunion now. I guess I will start my online disputes today, I am nervous, lol..

If I remember right, they give you a list of reasons to choose from...I think in general, most people choose "not mine" because that's really the only one that seems to fit.

Does sound like you're on the right track...good luck!

Thanks. If I choose the "not mine" if it is proved to be mine, can I get in trouble because that would have been a lie? I know I am a chicken, lol...My Dh always tells me I have no nerve.

No...you won't get in any trouble. "Not mine" simply means "I don't recognize this" or "I don't remember having this"...you're not swearing before a court of law that this isn't yours. Even it you were taken to court, you could still tell the judge "I don't know if this is mine or not, they haven't shown me any proof" and under law, you wouldn't be lying.

And...the "lack of nerve" is one of the things that CAs and JDBs count on. They try to make us beleive we're doing some "wrong" or illegal by standing up for our rights...

No...you won't get in any trouble. "Not mine" simply means "I don't recognize this" or "I don't remember having this"...you're not swearing before a court of law that this isn't yours. Even it you were taken to court, you could still tell the judge "I don't know if this is mine or not, they haven't shown me any proof" and under law, you wouldn't be lying.

And...the "lack of nerve" is one of the things that CAs and JDBs count on. They try to make us beleive we're doing some "wrong" or illegal by standing up for our rights...

Yesterday when I talked to this jerk from AFNI i asked him to validate the claim and he said he did not have to by law, he also said they dont delete anything once paid because its illegal and it alters the credit report. He was such a jerk too!

Yesterday when I talked to this jerk from AFNI i asked him to validate the claim and he said he did not have to by law, he also said they dont delete anything once paid because its illegal and it alters the credit report. He was such a jerk too!

Yeah, typical. Both are lies. Under the FDCPA, CAs are always required to validate. The law only says that if you don't DV within 30 days, they don't have to stop collecting.

Also...there is no law that says they have to report to the CRAs. The law only says that if they do report, it must be accurate.

Yeah, typical. Both are lies. Under the FDCPA, CAs are always required to validate. The law only says that if you don't DV within 30 days, they don't have to stop collecting.

Also...there is no law that says they have to report to the CRAs. The law only says that if they do report, it must be accurate.

He had me so upset when I hung up. I did however work out a plan with another rep from there to pay off the 501$ nextel bill through them over the next 3 months. Should I continue that or dispute that with the CRA as well and wait?

He had me so upset when I hung up. I did however work out a plan with another rep from there to pay off the 501$ nextel bill through them over the next 3 months. Should I continue that or dispute that with the CRA as well and wait?

Yep, that's the way they work. Get you agitated into doing something you might not have to.

What to do? Don't know...but, if it were me, I wouldn't send a CA any money. I'd call the OC and tell them I'll only work with them. (In fact, if you've set up to let them take money from your checking account, I might even think about closing it.) I guess I'd send the CA a DV saying something like send me proof this is my account before I send you anything. And, in the mean time, dispute with the CRAs. Do some reading on the "1-2 punch"...

Yep, that's the way they work. Get you agitated into doing something you might not have to.

What to do? Don't know...but, if it were me, I wouldn't send a CA any money. I'd call the OC and tell them I'll only work with them. (In fact, if you've set up to let them take money from your checking account, I might even think about closing it.) I guess I'd send the CA a DV saying something like send me proof this is my account before I send you anything. And, in the mean time, dispute with the CRAs. Do some reading on the "1-2 punch"...

Oh i did NOT give them my account. I did tell them on the phone that I would send them a money order. He told me that they would be more then happy to verify anything then when I asked him too he said they dont do that, lol...