Shot in the dark here - Credit problems and the Peace Corps

Lisa0825

One of my dreams about my near future (2 to 4 years down the road) is to join the Peace Corps. In fact, this has been one of the bigger motivators for me to get my financial "house" in order, because you must either be debt free, or have a documented plan to show how your debts would be paid during your 27 month committment.

I have not been able to find out this info from the Peace Corps website or correspondence yet (or google), and I just thought I'd toss this out there in case anyone else has actually investigated this issue.

What I am wondering is if my Peace Corps application will consider debts I am no longer legally required to pay, as in, those past the SOL, dropped off the 7 year report, etc?

If I am unable to join the Peace Corps, my backup plan is getting certified to teach English and just moving myself to a Latin American country for my own cultural expereince. But having the organizational support, stipend, readjustment pay, etc would certainly make Peace Corps a more secure option.

Do they still require you to have a college degree and all that jazz, to? Just wondering, lol...I'd looked into it once and thought--ICK, I'd rather do missionary work, which I plan to at some point in my life.

Anyway....

As far as what debts they'll "consider" I'm just not sure. How else could they find out about them unless they're listed on your credit reports? Ok, so of those there are some that have expired SOL's? I hate to say it, but I'm thinking they won't care if it's expired. They'll want it "settled" once and for all, that's my guess. At any rate, it sounds like you have some time to get these things squared away. Disputing some of them or otherwise requesting validation MAY do the trick.

Good luck.

Elyse

Do they still require you to have a college degree and all that jazz, to? Just wondering, lol...I'd looked into it once and thought--ICK, I'd rather do missionary work, which I plan to at some point in my life.

Anyway....

As far as what debts they'll "consider" I'm just not sure. How else could they find out about them unless they're listed on your credit reports? Ok, so of those there are some that have expired SOL's? I hate to say it, but I'm thinking they won't care if it's expired. They'll want it "settled" once and for all, that's my guess. At any rate, it sounds like you have some time to get these things squared away. Disputing some of them or otherwise requesting validation MAY do the trick.

Good luck.

Elyse

Thanks Elyse. Considering it is the government, they may have other ways of keeping tabs on info, than just credit reports. By the time I make my application, I think most of my derogatories will have passed the 7 year mark by then, but there are two about to pass SOL which I can't afford to settle at this point.... things could change before I apply, but I don't know right now. At that time, I would not be legally responsible for paying them anymore, but they will still show up on my report. I guess if the 7 year drop off is what they look at, the worst case is a delay. I just don't know if, being a government entity, it will be more strict than that. If the timeline is not an issue, and they expect ALL debts to have been fulfilled, then I have a lot more work to do.

I believe they prefer a college degree, but also look at employment experience as well.

According to the website:

Having a four-year college degree by the time you're ready to leave for the Peace Corps will help your chances of acceptance. But it isn't absolutely necessary, and for some programs work experience, relevant skills, and/or a community college degree can qualify you.

I really want to go somewhere to do some "hard core" volunteer work. I have done volunteer work of various types on and off since I was in Jr High. Not being the religious type, the missionary route is not for me. I really think Peace Corps could be a great way for me to do some good work, and their support system is fabulous; whereas other groups require you to pay all your expenses, and I can't swing that. I am more than eager to offer my blood, sweat, and tears, but I can't afford to pay for all the logistics of it as well.

The cultural experience of it is of huge importance to me. I really love to learn about other cultures, and I am very interested in Latin American countries. So, if I am not able to do Peace Corps, at least finding a teaching job there would give me the cultural experience part of the deal.