Time Limit for Credit Bureaus Reporting "In Dispute"

Well I don't have a letter on it, but the thread so far is correct. It is illegal for a furnisher or CRA to leave a tradeline in perpetual dispute.

The FCRA demands that a disputed tradelines be investigated and resolved, one way or the other, within 45 days*. The FCRA also demands that the CRA/furnisher mark an item as disputed upon receipt of a dispute from a consumer.

Now simple logic would say that once they get a complaint form a consumer and mark the item as disputed, that they can't leave it marked as disputed past the investigation time. Doing so would lead a reader of the report to the false conclusion that the item is still being investigated when it is not -- the report is no longer accurate and is in fact deliberately false.

*The FCRA says 30 days with one 15 day extension if the consumer provides additional information relavent to investigating the dispute during the first 30 days for any dispute resulting out of a report obtained through a credit denial or purchased. If the dispute arises out of a statutory free annual report, the CRA/furnisher has 45 days to investigate, but they get NO EXTENSIONS even if the consumer provides more info during the investigation period.

If the dispute arises out of a statutory free annual report, the CRA/furnisher has 45 days to investigate, but they get NO EXTENSIONS even if the consumer provides more info during the investigation period.

Now, that I DIDN'T know!!!

Is there time a limit for the credit bureaus reporting "in dispute" on your credit report?

I swear I have some stuff that has been "in dispute" for at least 3-4 months.

Wow! I am so glad you asked that. Believe or not, I have a CA marked as "Customer Disputes This Account Information" for more than 16 Months now. Since "Disputed Items" are not included in Fico Scoring (so they claim), I did not bother to question them. Thanks for asking that question. I know now I must take some action after the Holidays, of course.

Best Regards,

June

Now, that I DIDN'T know!!!

Yup.

Section 612a(3) "Notwithstanding (regarless of) the time periods specified in section 611(a)(1), a reinvestigation under that section by a consumer reporting agency upon a request of a consumer that is made after receiving a consumer report under this subsection shall be completed not later than 45 days after the date on which the request is received."

So they basically get the extension by default if you are using a free annual report. And this provision says regardless of what is in the other section they can't go past 45 days. period.

Now of course, we're talking about disputes through the CRA to the furnisher.

If you dispute directly with a furnisher, there's no telling how long they can leave that in dispute notation there. Common sense would dictate that it stay up as long as there is an active dispute.

Nope. The FCRA says that furnishers must comply with the time periods that the CRAs must comply in.

Section 623a8(e)(iii) "complete such person's investigation of the dispute and report the results of the investigation to the consumer before the expiration of the period under section 611(a)(1) within which a consumer reporting agency would be required to complete its action if the consumer had elected to dispute the information under that section; and"

I have one last baddie that just won't go away! I sure would love to get rid of it. This might be the key. So, it says "in dispute" forever. What next? Basically, it means that the CRA failed to update the status. If I write to them, they'll just update the status.

2 questions:

1. Who to write to about the OC or CRA?

2. Anyone got a sample letter?

I have one last baddie that just won't go away! I sure would love to get rid of it. This might be the key. So, it says "in dispute" forever. What next? Basically, it means that the CRA failed to update the status. If I write to them, they'll just update the status.

2 questions:

1. Who to write to about the OC or CRA?

2. Anyone got a sample letter?

1. I am writing to the CRA first, after the Holidays.

2. I haven't got a clue for a sample letter, but I will be sure to cite the FCRA sections as it applies to CRAs; Section 612a(3) and Furnishers; Section 623a8(e)(iii).

Best Regards,

June

Nope. The FCRA says that furnishers must comply with the time periods that the CRAs must comply in.

Section 623a8(e)(iii) "complete such person's investigation of the dispute and report the results of the investigation to the consumer before the expiration of the period under section 611(a)(1) within which a consumer reporting agency would be required to complete its action if the consumer had elected to dispute the information under that section; and"

Except it's not actionable.

Plus I was talking more along the lines of DVing a CA.