So, how common is it for them to sue in Texas?

Lisa0825

I have read on a couple sites that Texas is not very good for creditors to sue in, because they can't garnish wages. One quote I saw said, "So, you pay an attorney to go to court with a piece of paper saying someone owes you money, and then if you win, you leave court with a piece of paper that says someone owes you money."

I have also seen people say that because of the protections here, companies do not sue as much.

I am waiting on my last real baddy to go past SOL, and the creditors have come out of the woodwork. One small account and one big one ($~300 and ~$4000 - started at ~3000 before fees) with the same original creditor at the same time (linked accounts).

The smaller one was listed with Collect America until 2 weeks ago, when I got a letter from Commercial Recovery Systems for the same debt. Collect America disappeared from my reports, and CRS has not yet shown up.

The larger one has been listed with NCO, but today I got a letter from Assetcare (which I only found to minor references to on this site - anyone have experience with them?) offering me a 50% settlement. I don't know if they sold it, or if Assetcare is just representing them, since NCO had a "privacy statement" in the same envelope.

So far, neither letter has been all that threatening. I have about two months until I am in the clear. I was just curious about who has been sued in Texas and for how much and by whom. I had one debt that went past SOL last year that was a total of about $4500 with fees, and they didn't sue.

I'm going to be biting my nails until February!!!88-) But the good news is, it will be smooooth sailing after that! xdancex

I've been sued three times in a year time period. All three times by some big names and didn't fair so well. I've settled two, Hudson and Keyse before going to trial and Wolpoff and Abramson after judgement. The last was for only $1200. I've also gotten hit by Zwicker and Abram. hard. Their attorney and legal fees more than doubled what the suit was for. They were all about a year out from SOL. Good Luck on making it to February. Just wanted to let you know that they will even sue us Texans. Why I don't know.

I got sued by Hudson & Keyse and won somewhat. I am also suing 2 other big name collectors in a pre-emptive strikes, for violations. All in Tx. Hudson & Keyse is notorious. Look at the Harris County Courthouse records. Over 1000 suits in the past year.

Thanks, both of you. I like to think realistically, so I don't get my hopes up and get burned, or worry too much for nothing. So, I appreciate hearing the good and bad of it. The truth is, it is impossible NOT to think about it, so I might as well talk about it rather than keep it all pent up, right? :mrgreen:

You are correct. Usually you dont talk about it with aquaintances, so talking about it with here really helped me.

I found after having a suit filed against me once, if you have a good lawyer, your options are probably more numerous than you think. And for the record, keep every bit of documentation and record every call. You may really need it when these guys start harassing you.

The truth is, it is impossible NOT to think about it, so I might as well talk about it rather than keep it all pent up, right? :mrgreen:

I was completely beside myself for a couple of months when I first started receiving "attorney" phone calls for CC debt that had charged off this year. I couldn't sleep, or focus on anything but "what might happen to me". I knew there would be collections, but I wasn't expecting the aggressive behavior that I received from the collectors. I cried a lot, couldn't sleep, focus ect...I discovered that the worst that can happen to me is my credit is tanked (which sucks), and if "they" do get a judgement then so be it. I'm married and assests & primary checking are in DH name & I have no garnishable wages. It's my debt, not my DH, so I am not involving him or asking him to pay it. This debt is fairly new, and I know I will end up paying, but that won't happen until I find a firm that will take payments =). Life goes on, and I am not going to dwell on it. Maybe over the next year I will save enough to offer a settlement. Visiting the different credit boards has helped me realize that I'm not going to jail or my husband will not get sued or anything else. It is good to talk about it, and know that you're not the only one ;) I've also gained invaluable info about money and finances in general...which is always a good thing!