New Poster with collection questions

kel

Hello

I am a new poster to this forum and have some questions dealing with debt collections.

Here's my situation - I divorced about three years ago and got stuck with all the debt. It's mostly credit card debt, with alot of it being written off by the OC. Some accounts have ended up being assigned or sold to collectors. My ex wife filed a bankruptcy, so I really am stuck with all of it. My credit reports are a mess so after running across the "creditinfocenter" web site I've decided to try and resolve as much as I can.

So here is my first question. I have a credit card debt on my credit reports that has been turn over to a collector. The original creditor has not reported the account as being charged-off, they have no listing at all on the reports. So there is no dates of when the account was opened or the date of last activity. The collector however has listed dates they have opened. I suspect that the statue of limitations has run. I am about to request the collector to validate this debt. The last reported date on this account is for this month (Nov.) Without validation I have no way of knowing if I may have contractual obligations in the original credit agreement. I am afraid that by requesting validation, and if there is obligations in the original credit agreement it may cause the collector to file suit in which case I may end up with a judgement rather than a collection. Should I request validation?

If those debts from the divorce did not have YOUR name on them as a joint account holder, than you cannot be held legally liable for them by any CA. Divorce decrees are NOT binding on creditors or collectors and you do not live in a community property state. I would dispute any one of these debts that your name was not on originally. They can't go after your ex because of her bankruptcy, but you have no legal liability either !