ronn

employment and BK

I am interviewing for a position at the local Police departmet as a IT System Admin. They say they do an extensive background check. Is that criminal only or credit too? Should I tell them I filed BK 13 this year?

Thanks in advance.

Better to be open and honest about it ! The fact that you filed Ch 13 to pay your debts should be a few points in your favor, but since you are not going to be a cop on the street, they should have few worries about your unpaid bills. You won't be a potential cop on the take to pay debts ;).

Actually, since a sysadmin can alter computer records, I think their requirements may be at least as strict as for a cop on the beat.

ETA: it's fairly standard practice around Silicon Valley that if a sysadmin gives notice, they're gone immediately.

When I was a sysadmin for a Japanese car mfr, I also had full database privs. It really just depends.

Anyhow, I'd expect that disclosure of the BK would be a good idea and not necessarily a barrier to employment. Just be prepared to answer questions about the BK.

Also be prepared to answer questions about stuff that would be on a full factual report and not just a regular consumer report.

This specific position is administering the network hardware as is relates to videoconferencing. I always thought that is illegal not to hire because of BK and to fire because of BK. Other than credit, I am not worried about anything.

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't know of anyone denied a job for a BK, just bad credit.

Just be prepared to answer questions about why you BKed, etc. They may want to know if you're a financial risk, and that could depend a lot on your prior history leading up to the BK.

Good luck!

direred,

I have a really good friend who applied for a position with the JSO (Jacksonville Sheriffs Office) as an PO, he was turned down because it had only been 3 years since he had filed his BK13 (divorce related).

Lady,

Like direred, I have had production DB alteration priveledges and I know how to do it without 'leaving a trace'.