What's up with WaMu?

I had never before seen so much as a scrap of paper from WaMu before about 3 months ago, now I am being virtually assaulted with various offers. All sorts of different offers too. I have even gotten more than 1 offer from them in the mail the same day. My wife as well. Could I have done something that caught their attention? Funny thing is my wife and I have dramatically different credit scores.

I've gotten Providian before sparingly, but these are WaMu. Are they the same company?

Yes. WaMu bought Providian and now all Providian correspondence reads WaMu. But the two cards are still confusingly separate (like WaMu pulls EX and Providian pulls TU, for example) and cards issued from the Providian side still say Providian and there's still a Providian-branded website. Yet your statements, emails and card offers all come from WaMu now.:?

So you might be getting offers from both but you don't realize it until you look at the specifics of the cards. I agree, it's stupid.

But the two cards are still confusingly separate (like WaMu pulls EX and Providian pulls TU, for example) and cards issued from the Providian side still say Providian and there's still a Providian-branded website.

Not for much longer. The web-site is still separate, but when my providian card came up for renewal, they sent me a WaMu branded card. The card has no references to Providian on it anymore. My monthly statements have a providian logo in very small print below a large WaMu logo but that's all that is shown there.

I'm not going to knock it. WaMu seems to be doing right by its customers so far. They've dropped universal default and mandatory arbitration from their contract of adhesion and I've even gotten a few credit line increases since they took over. I've not heard of any major complaints.

Not for much longer. The web-site is still separate, but when my providian card came up for renewal, they sent me a WaMu branded card. The card has no references to Providian on it anymore. My monthly statements have a providian logo in very small print below a large WaMu logo but that's all that is shown there.

I'm not going to knock it. WaMu seems to be doing right by its customers so far. They've dropped universal default and mandatory arbitration from their contract of adhesion and I've even gotten a few credit line increases since they took over. I've not heard of any major complaints.

I just got approved for a new Providian card, and I'm dying to see if it is WaMu-branded. A couple of months ago I called to get a replacement for my current Providian card, just to see if they'd give me a new WaMu-branded one. Nope. Still says Providian on the front. :evil:

I just got approved for a new Providian card, and I'm dying to see if it is WaMu-branded. A couple of months ago I called to get a replacement for my current Providian card, just to see if they'd give me a new WaMu-branded one. Nope. Still says Providian on the front. :evil:

Hrm. Maybe it's because mine was bumped up to a "platinum card." They changed it back in September.

Anyways, my mother worked for WaMu in the mortgage division. her friends that still work there said it's in the works to get rid of the Providian brand entirely because of the bad rap it has as being a bottom end card issuer.

Hrm. Maybe it's because mine was bumped up to a "platinum card." They changed it back in September.

Anyways, my mother worked for WaMu in the mortgage division. her friends that still work there said it's in the works to get rid of the Providian brand entirely because of the bad rap it has as being a bottom end card issuer.

That's what I was hoping they'd do when they took over!! I suppose it would be too expensive to give everyone a new WaMu card all at once, so they're phasing them in upon renewal. But I figured I could jump the line and get a new WaMu card before my 2009 expiration by pretending I scratched my magnetic strip. NO SUCH LUCK.:evil:

• 2 months later...

I just got a preapproved offer from Washington Mutual for a Visa Platinum Card with 0% Fixed APR until August 1, 2007. Also states it gives free online access to my credit score. website is www.getmyvisa.com

Here's the kicker, I go to WAMU website but I don't see any cc for visa, only mastercard platinum. I apply anyway and get instant approval for $30K.

I'm thinking....is this a scam.. I know WAMU pulls TU and I'm currently at 633 with 1 baddie. Have anyone else been through this? Says I should see my card 7 to 10 business days. Upon reading the fine print it states credit limit up to $7500. What gives? :confused:

I just got a preapproved offer from Washington Mutual for a Visa Platinum Card with 0% Fixed APR until August 1, 2007. Also states it gives free online access to my credit score. website is www.getmyvisa.com

Here's the kicker, I go to WAMU website but I don't see any cc for visa, only mastercard platinum. I apply anyway and get instant approval for $30K.

I'm thinking....is this a scam.. I know WAMU pulls TU and I'm currently at 633 with 1 baddie. Have anyone else been through this? Says I should see my card 7 to 10 business days. Upon reading the fine print it states credit limit up to $7500. What gives? :confused:

It's probably a Providian card. But that CL is weird. With a TU of about 790 and no baddies, I only got $6000 recently.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty strange. Only other cc I have is Crap One and the limit on that is $300. I'm nowhere near good credit, still considered fair, i guess with TU 633 EX 616 EQ 613 I was pretty amazed that they would offer me $30K. Such a big offer with scores so little :roll:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty strange. Only other cc I have is Crap One and the limit on that is $300. I'm nowhere near good credit, still considered fair, i guess with TU 633 EX 616 EQ 613 I was pretty amazed that they would offer me $30K. Such a big offer with scores so little :roll:

That is REALLY strange. I've never seen someone get approved--let alone instantly--for that amount. Not even people with a clean report, high score and a boatload of seasoned credit. Did you accidentally add a couple of extra zeroes to your income?

Low 600s, a baddie and one $300 Crap One card... $30k??? Instant??? :confused:

Actually, I didn't... Income is at $30,000 annually. I think their page must have a glitch or something. But who knows, I guess time will tell when the card arrives. But I will most certainly post here with the results. This is most certainly got me anxious.:eek: