Active account Credit card refuse to remove auth user

jjortiz422

Ok before i found this nifty site and bought the book "Good credit is sexy" i was trying to piggy back ride off my parents credit thinking that if i had enough credit cards with them. All the other stuff would eventually dissappeared. Ok so that did not work. So i started to read and found all of this magic to credit. My credit has gone from a 480 to a 620 in 2 months. Hard to believe, but true. In any case here is my question.

I have one credit card left to cancel with my parents before i am cut loose. This one credit card was with my mother. So i called Household bank and asked to be removed, little did i know that i was a joint account holder and not an authorized user. So they asked me to bring the account below the credit limit and they were going to send me some paper work so i could sign and i would be removed. The letter never came. So i applied for another card with another bank. Got the card and i called to activate it and guess what it was all from the same company "HSBC". So they told me i was late on my other account and i had them send me another set of papers to sign cause the first one had not come. Now i already had brought the account current. So again 2 months later the papers still did not come. So i called today and asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor told me that i would not be removed from the account till i paid the balance. So i told them i never authorized this but that my mother had authorize me in case of an emergency. In any case here is my question.

Can i still dispute this account even though it's still open? Can i do it the same way i dispute the collection account? I never signed papers and i never spoke to them. Some input please. Thanks.

The only way to get off the card is to close out the account. Joint account holder is very different from AU. With a Joint Account agreement, you carry full legal liability for the account. With AU, you do not.

disputing is very unlikely to do you any good. If you dispute, then it could somehow fall of, only to reappear with the next tape submitted.

I would presume that one would have to authorize becoming a "joint" account holder. If you did not do so, there is no contract thus no liability.

You may ask them to produce such an Agreement. Doubtful they would but in any event, without such a document they could not hold you legally responsible. That would include reporting a corresponding tradeline on your reports.

Verification of a not mine dispute may attach s-2b liability here but I would say it would be an area of first impression. You may want to remind them of a little case styled Johnson v. MBNA . . . they may change their tune.

Of course, reduce all communication to writing.

When attempting to get onto cards as AU, customer service reps will frequently spew misinformation - "It won't affect your credit score unless you sign on as a joint user." now, if the OP did not sign a joint user agreement, that's different. not properly investigating after disputing through the CRA would be an s2b violation, though I don't think it will get you too far - you need to prove damages. Now, if momma defaults on the card and the OP's credit gets trashed, now you have damages and an outstanding case :)

I agree regarding damages. Some form of lost opportunity due to the high utilization, in part, would need to be established for liability to attach.

So go apply for a mortgage . . . just kidding.

Seriously, send HSBC communication stating that you never authorized joint status on the account.