Bankruptcy Timing

I just got sued by Asset Acceptance. I have 20 days to file an answer which I will do. Since I am self-employed salesman, they can't garnish my wages but I am worried about them freezing my bank account. I know I can prevent that by filing for bankruptcy but I would rather not go this route if possible. What I want to know is if I lose in court, how quickly can I file for Bankruptcy (Chapter 7) to prevent the freezing of my bank account? Also if my bank account has been frozen by the CA, how quickly can it be unfrozen after I file for bankruptcy?

I may not have all the answers to your questions but I do know that with the new bankruptcy laws, you have to be enrolled in an "approved credit counseling" facility six months before you file bankruptcy. There is a list of these approved sites on the home page of this site. There is also information on the home page regarding the new bankruptcy laws. I would suggest reading this first before making any decisions.:)++

I just got sued by Asset Acceptance. I have 20 days to file an answer which I will do. Since I am self-employed salesman, they can't garnish my wages but I am worried about them freezing my bank account. I know I can prevent that by filing for bankruptcy but I would rather not go this route if possible. What I want to know is if I lose in court, how quickly can I file for Bankruptcy (Chapter 7) to prevent the freezing of my bank account? Also if my bank account has been frozen by the CA, how quickly can it be unfrozen after I file for bankruptcy?
Why do you want to file bankruptcy for one collection account? Answer their summons, let them proof their claims before relief can be granted. If you lose, they still have to file motion for asset discovery before any garnishment or bank account frozen.

...and don't forget your car!

doesn't FL have very good consumer protection 100% exemption of wages for head of household??

Sorry if this doesn't apply.

Why do you want to file bankruptcy for one collection account? Answer their summons, let them proof their claims before relief can be granted. If you lose, they still have to file motion for asset discovery before any garnishment or bank account frozen.

amen, how much money is it for though??

I may not have all the answers to your questions but I do know that with the new bankruptcy laws, you have to be enrolled in an "approved credit counseling" facility six months before you file bankruptcy.

I'm still researching bankruptcy myself, but isn't isn't the standard within six months before? Meaning as long as you attend the session a week before filing, you're still okay?