CA's letters for CO credit cards no longer on my Credit Report

msrenda

I'm new in Arkansas and I have been looking through the post to find a similar topic so please forgive me if this is already posted somewhere. I do apologize.

In 1996 & 1997 I have a lot of credit cards which became deliquent in 1998 after my divorce and I could no longer pay them. I lived abroad for almost 3 years and upon my return to the US workforce in 2000 I recieved a few notices from collections regarding the amount owed. I went to a lawyer for advice who told me to ignore the letters since they would most likely be CO in the next year, but if they continued to contact me come back and we would file banckruptcy since I could not pay for the debts.

They evenutally stopped sending letters and I forgot about them. That is until recently when in May I was able to get a loan to buy a house after cleaning up my credit report to a fair score which the loan company would accept. The old credit cards had been removed and I was able to get a credit card to help build my credit again.

Recently I have recieved letters from collection agencies who are trying to collect for those CO's credit card debts. My questions are regarding the SOL on this CO debts and how to handle this. I feel completely ignorant on these issues.

Thanks

msrenda

Even though the debts are beyond SOL, they can still attempt to collect. Write across the letter "Refuse to pay" and return it to them which will stop any further communication from them.

Of course the could always sell the debt to another CA in which case you would need to repeat the process.

If they decided to sue you, you would need to raise the SOL as a defense.