CA reporting false debt

Beth893

OK, I'm bumfuzzled here. I've got a collection showing on my CR that I have no knowledge of.

MERCHANTS ADJUSTMENT SERVICE

Agency Address: 56 N Florida St

Mobile, AL 366073108

Date Reported: 07/2006

Date Assigned: 09/2002

Creditor Classification: Medical/Health Care

Creditor Name: BAPTIST MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

Accounts Number: 188XXXX

Account Owner: Individual Account.

Original Amount Owned: $776

Date of 1 st Delinquency: 11/2000

Balance Date: 07/2006

Balance Owned: $726

Date of Last Activity : 02/10/2002

Status Date: 07/2006

Comments: Medical

I have never heard from these people before. I don't even know what, if any hospital bill from that time frame that wasn't paid.

It's past the SOL so should I dispute it with the CA or what?

Thanks,

Beth

You should probably put in an Identity Theft Alert on your credit reports.

If you have never heard of this hospital it is possible that someone received treatment using your social security number for identification.

A letter to the hospital and the CA telling them both that you have never been treated there and demanding copies of all billing records per the FACT Act should be sent immediately. The Hospital is prohibited from giving you copies of records that specify the treatments, but billing and other demographic information must be turned over to you as soon as you submit a demand for it.

Not sure what you mean be gov't run....charity? This is a private hospital though anyway. Two members of the family were treated by two different baptist hospitals that year but I paid all of the bills and never received anything saying any different till this popped up on the CR.

Two members of the family were treated by two different baptist hospitals that year but I paid all of the bills and never received anything saying any different till this popped up on the CR.

OK so the truth is, you are probably liable for the bills and you likely know who they are and what they were for. Hospitals typically have a person sign a liability endorsement during registration, if you paid a bill or used your insurance on someone else's behalf, you probably just made yourself liable for the whole enchilada.

Go back to the hospitals and get full accounting of the bills with your credits and debits listed. They may have double billed or may be trying to collect on an unpaid balance that you never saw (but could still be liable for).

So do your research and get the documentation from the hospital. Once you have that, you should be better prepared to deal with the CRA/CA issues.