Calling CRAs to Dispute/Remove Account Info

Bambee

Hello eveyone. I'm moving my posts from the "How To Begin Credit Repair - A Primer" thread for more visibility.

Here's my second post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by divemedic

just tell them you don't remember anything about the account and you want them to investigate."

Quick Questions:

1. What can you say to the CRA when disputing an account that has negative tradelines but you're still making payments on the account? In other words, how can you say "I don't remember anything about this account and I want you to investigate" when you've just made a payment on the account last month and have been making on-time payments for the past 2, 6, 9 months or more?

2. How can I speak with the 1st representative who answers the phone at the CRAs? I always get bounced around to 2 or 3 representatives when I call and give my name and SSN and it seems that only someone from the "Special Investigator's" office (basically a division within the CRAs that handles calls from attorneys or from persons represented by an attorney) can speak to me. It's like I'm "flagged" or on some sort of hot list at the CRAs.

Please advise.

First of all, if these accounts are still currently with the OC and you are still currently making payments on them then why oh why would you dispute them as "not yours"? That's sure as heck going to wind you up in the fraud dept.

Well, yeah, my point exactly! Divemedic's instructions were to tell the CRAs we don't remember anything about the account but that is false if you're making payments on an account with a negative tradeline.

What else can we say to the CRAs in this case?

I think perhaps you need to reread the sticky, as well as the other stickies on the other forums. Read through the website, click the links on the top of the page. Do some searches.

It'll help to get a lot better grasp on what you need to do before you dispute anything else.

I think perhaps you need to reread the sticky, as well as the other stickies on the other forums. Read through the website, click the links on the top of the page. Do some searches.

It'll help to get a lot better grasp on what you need to do before you dispute anything else.

Thank you but I have read (and re-read) the sticky as well as other stickies on the other formus and I still have the questions above. Can anyone else help me answer these questions?

1. What can you say to the CRA when disputing an account that has negative tradelines but you're still making payments on the account? In other words, how can you say "I don't remember anything about this account and I want you to investigate" when you've just made a payment on the account last month and have been making on-time payments for the past 2, 6, 9 months or more?

Disputing is about trying to get the TL/report as accurate as possible. So, when you call to dispute, you need to tell them what it is you want corrected. If the balance is wrong, then dispute that. If it says "late pay in May" and it wasn't until "June", then dispute that. We can't tell you what to dispute. Only you have your report and can tell what you believe is inaccurate.

2. How can I speak with the 1st representative who answers the phone at the CRAs? I always get bounced around to 2 or 3 representatives when I call and give my name and SSN and it seems that only someone from the "Special Investigator's" office (basically a division within the CRAs that handles calls from attorneys or from persons represented by an attorney) can speak to me. It's like I'm "flagged" or on some sort of hot list at the CRAs.

More than likely you are. If that is the case, then you won't be able to choose the rep of your liking. You may do better mailing in your disputes. Is there a specific reason why you would rather not deal w/ "Special Handling"? (I've been there myself.) Quite frankly, I would rather deal w/ them as they will have a better grip on dealing w/ consumer disputes.

Can you find anything incorrect on the account?

Date, payment history, address, account number for instance.

Yes I've tried that approach with one charged-off account in particular and all the OC did was simply delete the incorrect item and contine to report the account charged-off. According to the CRAs the furnisher is obligated to correct or remove incorrect information, which does not necessarily mean deleating the entire account from the credit report.

More than likely you are. If that is the case, then you won't be able to choose the rep of your liking. You may do better mailing in your disputes. Is there a specific reason why you would rather not deal w/ "Special Handling"? (I've been there myself.) Quite frankly, I would rather deal w/ them as they will have a better grip on dealing w/ consumer disputes.