TripRewards Bank of America MC

At some point, I was offerd on of those "free trial subscriptions" to TripRewards, which I ended up never using. I don't remember how they got me... I remember I signed up on the phone, but not which company reeled me in. I cancelled it after the fee kicked in. That was a couple months ago.

Today, I got an "invitation" in the mail to apply for a TripRewards B of A Platinum MC. I doubt I will qualify, but I was wondering if this might qualify me for the 99/500. They do mention that if you don't qualify for platinum, there is also a "preferred card" you'll be considered for.

Those of you who have been offered a 99/500: did any of you initially apply through a service like Trip Rewards, or was it a direct offer from Bank of America itself?

OK, so yesterday, I got another one in the mail. This one was through PADI (scuba certification org) for World Points B of A MC.

Anyone have any input about whether these third-party offers could trigger the 99/500? Or do I need to apply with B of A directly?