can you go to jail

MaryDoyle

State: Georgia

1. Can you go to jail for not paying CA? !!

2. If you move and get new job, can they figure out where you work?

3. Can they repossess items by taking?

4. Can they sue to force you to sell other property to pay?

5. Can they sue or repossess from someone else if they think you gave gifts to them?

Thanks.

No, absolutely not. You cannot go to jail.

If you move and get new job, can they figure out where you work?

It's called skip tracing. Some put more work into it than others, but there are always ways to find someone if you look hard enough.

Can they repossess items by taking?

Each state has its own laws regarding repossession. If you're referring to forcible repossessions, or something confrontational, most states have laws against that.

Can they sue to force you to sell other property to pay?

Only after getting a judgment in court. Even after that, much of your property and belongings may be exempt depending on where you live.

Can they sue or repossess from someone else if they think you gave gifts to them?

That's a complicated question, and requires much more information than you have provided.

MaryDoyle....if you're worried about something specific, perhaps you could provide a little more information. The wonderful people on this forum could help you and maybe help ease your mind.

For some of these questions you asked really depend on many variables. If the CA's are calling & telling you that you are going to jail & threatening all of the things you asked about...they could just be doing that to scare you. If CA's are making these threats to you, it could work in your favor. Many times a CA will make threats they shouldn't if they get the impression that you are not aware of your rights. Been there done that. It would help to know a little more about your alleged debt.

In Georgia they can find out where you are working through the Department of Labor. As Georgia has state income tax your employer must report it quarterly. If they have a judgment they can suponea (sp?) the states records to find out where you worked last quarter. I am a resident of GA and know allot about the system provide specifics and I will try to help you out. If you don't want to put it here send a PM and I will provide you with an email address and phone number.

Thank you all so much. I have been purposely vague on details because I am afraid that somehow they will audit this site and track me down and force me to give information to them about someone I care about who is the "real" person behind these questions.
Collectors do lurk on this site; however, it would be very difficult to track someone down here. However, if "Mary Doyle" is your current or former name, it would be wise to change your user i.d. to something more anonymous.

Actually, the answer is yes under one circumstance. If they have a judgment against you and you fail to show up for the asset discovery meeting, the judge can issue a bench warrant for your arrest for failing to appear. The asset meeting is mandatory if you are called to one.