Collectors in trouble

divemedic

Read this thread:

http://www.collectionindustry.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=6104

Apparently, a CA is going down because their collectors are impersonating FBI agents and threatening prison time if debtors don't pay up. The owner doesn't see why this is a problem:

Collectors are lied to, threatened, and verbally abused every single day we go to work, and there is no recourse for us. I cannot tell you how many people have misrepresented themselves to me or my employees, and yet I don't see them being served with search warrants. If I were to call the FBI and say "this debtor says he's a federal agent and threated to press charges on me if I called him again", what do you think they's say? They'd probably hang up on me.

I have no problem playing by the rules. Most of our accounts are nearing SOL, and we take 50% settlement with no credit reporting or other headaches. In fact, I would say that at least half of our debtors are faily decent people that are a reletive breeze to work with. But the other half....

I've had new collectors literally in tears because of abusive or threatening callers. There's nobody waiting around to stick up for them.

I'm sorry to vent, but I'm just really upset about the whole thing.

Hahahaha!!!

Take the post with a grain of salt. For those of you unfamiliar with the dynamics of that board, a lot of debtors who have been harassed by CA's post there posing as collectors doing stupid things.

I suppose it's their way of imposing some kind of poetic justice.

Think about it. An agency manager/owner, with 40 employees, suddenly appears on an internet discussion board where he know no one. And, asks for advice on what he should do about being investigated by the FBI for his employees criminal behavior, for which he can be held accountable, rather than consulting legal counsel. Who, by the way, would advise against such postings.

Take the post with a grain of salt. For those of you unfamiliar with the dynamics of that board, a lot of debtors who have been harassed by CA's post there posing as collectors doing stupid things.

I suppose it's their way of imposing some kind of poetic justice.

Think about it. An agency manager/owner, with 40 employees, suddenly appears on an internet discussion board where he know no one. And, asks for advice on what he should do about being investigated by the FBI for his employees criminal behavior, for which he can be held accountable, rather than consulting legal counsel. Who, by the way, would advise against such postings.

People ARE stupid.

First of all, *IF* his employees (and him - since he said he was on a couple of the calls) said that they were FBI....the FBI WOULD get involved. It is more than a violation of the FDCPA - it is impersonating a Federal Officer! You are damn straight they would arrest the perps!

Given some of the calls I have received, I *know* there are idiots working as CAs who are willing to do this! I had one CA saying that if I did not pay this bill right now, my spouse would be arrested tomorrow morning at work! I had one collector for the Department of Education (student loan default) call me the most abusive things and then refused to transfer me to his supervisor. I had one CA say he was a cop. The list goes on and on.

BTW, most consumers, pissed off or otherwise would not post that story.

Who knows.....

All I know about reading that site is that the CAs curse all consumers...everyone is a deadbeat...and spout abuse at the consumers on the site and post abuses they would like to do...(and probably do in reality....) While a select FEW members of that site (Normy) are trying to give the industry a respectable image, in my experience, 99% of collectors are abusive. They give their own industry a black eye.

The CAs are unreasonable. While calling the consumer a lazy, goo-for-nothing, blah blah, they will then tell consumer...no! that is NOT enough! You have to pay more!(per month). While the consumer is trying to be responsible and pay the debt to the best of their ability, the CA becomes a roadblock. Their demand is too high and the consumer cannot pay and WON'T pay......and then they blame the consumer....whatever.:twisted: