Who can we trust??

Worried

I have been reading this site in and out for the last few weeks and how do we know who you can trust and who you can't. Some of the people on here sound like they work for CA. Do they? I am kind of freaked out that there are people on here thinking they are here to help us but in all actuality they aren't. I have been burned once by a DS Co. and scared to ask questions wondering if I am getting the right advice.

I love this forum, I have learned so much and I hope I am being silly for thinking this!

:confused:

I have been reading this site in and out for the last few weeks and how do we know who you can trust and who you can't. Some of the people on here sound like they work for CA. Do they? I am kind of freaked out that there are people on here thinking they are here to help us but in all actuality they aren't. I have been burned once by a DS Co. and scared to ask questions wondering if I am getting the right advice.

I love this forum, I have learned so much and I hope I am being silly for thinking this!

Some may possibly work for CA. You really have no way to trust every thing you see on the Internet. With that being said if you follow the advice that you see here chances are you will be ok. Flyingfir has been around for a long time and giving advice. Some of us here dont mind letting you know what has worked for us. Like anything do your own research and if you have a specific problem post it and you should receive some good advice, just dont take it for granted that what you see is gospel. Do some of your own research and verify what you see.

Pandmel

Flyingfir has been around for a long time and giving advice.

And, feel free to ask him about my credentials; he knows who I am and what I do. Some here would have you believe I am in some way connected to the collection industry; I'm not.

Don't take my word though, ask Flyingifr, Rottweiler/Broke Chick, Hannah, or any number of other long time posters who know which side of the fence I'm on.

And, feel free to ask him about my credentials; he knows who I am and what I do. Some here would have you believe I am in some way connected to the collection industry; I'm not.

Normie, I think they think that because you sometimes give information they don't want to hear.

I like hearing the stuff I want to hear -- and also the stuff I don't, because the latter is way more likely to keep me out of trouble than the former.

I want to say that I think your perspective is extremely valuable -- I don't always agree with you (and I specifically disagree with you about the demise of AoC), but I appreciate the perspective.

Worried, I'll tell you how I have always gone about it. I read through the website first, ordered the book, I look at how long the poster has been a member, and do searches. If the same information keeps being presented over and over than I think it adds to the validity. But again, you have to make the determination for yourself. If something bothers you, clarify your question and point out why. More than likely, someone will chime in and explain themselves. I can't stress enough how important it is to search, and read....read...read!!!!!

IMHO, CAs and JDBs have much bettet things to do than to troll the web...afterall, my god, they've got all those phone calls to make...

But...there are indeed people you need to watch out for. Anybody that says "PM me and I'll tell you the secret to fix this", or "I can handle that for you, and I won't take any money until its settled" ...run away, run far away.

There have been some folks here that make money off our plight. I call them "debt fixers"...they're really just CAs who work our side of the street and make us feel good about giving them money. Again, run away...

There are also people who like to hear themselves type, and will gladly poke fun at anyone who disagrees with them, or stand up and yell "but you don't understand the effect of mercus amica on the judicial system". You should be able to figure who they are...

But...bottom line...there are a lot of us here that came here with the same problems you have (maybe more). A lot of us are still here, even after those problems have settled down a bit. We're trying to help. If you've got a specific question, we'll see what we can suggest.

Creditwench once accused me of being James Keener :)

OMG. If there's one dude who's done harm for consumer credit more than the industry, it'd be Keener. Basically, he sued artofcredit and there was a year-long legal battle.

He also threatened to sue other consumer sites and also sued another.

I hear e. normis was banned at creditboards. :(

Technically I was never banned; I was never allowed to post in the first place. They believe I'm a collector, and or Creditwench.

But, they also like to hear what they want to hear. Here's an example:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167358

As has already been pointed out, I don't approach a question with pampering its author with what they want to hear, I answer with what I know.

Collectors are often wrong with their understanding of the law, and so are consumers.

One of the most prolific posters on CI, Derek, is a well known agency owner with whom I have had personal dealings. Why, in this thread, would he refer to me as a consumer if I were a collector?

I've never had a past due debt, so have never been contacted by a collector. Therefore, I cannot relate to the emotional feelings that other consumers on these boards have towards collectors. Perhaps that's why my outward appearance is sympathetic of collectors. Though in reality it's one of objectivity, not sympathy.

I won't defend my position any further. If anyone believes I have nothing of value to add, simply ignore my posts.

To the otherwise vast majority, thank you for your support.

Hi Worried:

I have thoroughly enjoyed the information from this site, however, just as the others have indicated, it's up to you to do some research. I found that what works for me is getting several books available through your local library on credit repair, credit score, collections, etc. I have combed several books for months and compared what I have read with the forum. So far, all the things I have read and have learned from this forum have helped me to delete several "baddies" off my credit report and has educated me how to monitor my credit report in the future. I have passed this on to others who are struggling to correct their reports as well. Most of the information I have learned has been "shocking" as I was totally unaware such practices were going on. I know now! Read tips on the forum but also use your own discretion. Sometimes what works for some, will not work for you.::linedancers::

i'm a long time reader here,and have only had a few posts of problems,and if you read here alot,you'll see the good the bad,but they all offer insight,big fan of normies,and used to read daily the collectors forum,and derek would make laugh.but enormis,was always around straightening people out on both sides of the fence.with straight facts and links to back it up.

but dive,ra,i hate ca's,nascar,these are people just to name a few that always offer good knowledgeable views.

and even people like six,who i havent seen forever,may have been on the other side,but if people were wanting to settle,he'd "try" and help,

plus willing to cope,has helped me and trust worthy,alot of good people on here

just my 2 cents

You're not being silly, you're being careful and that's the best way to be.

The truth is, no matter where you go there'll always be those that will make you "wonder" and the best thing you can do is, take it all with a grain of salt. What works for one, may not work for another. Different strokes for different folks...and all that jazz. Do your research, ask questions...especially if you're unsure of the answer given and it NEVER hurts to get a 2nd opinion.

I could get, "Pay the bill..." or "Ignore them..." anywhere...it's ALLLL the junk in between I want, it's the meat of the credit issue and it's up to us as consumers to seek it out.

Believe me, there are WAY more posters/responders here that will help you get that information than there are those other kinds.

Keep up the good work and I sure do hope and pray you get to where you want to be with your credit. It takes work to get there and it'll take work to maintain, but it'll be worth it. I promise! :)

Elyse