credit report has a zero balance but CA demands another payment

yboyd

I have a question on my credit report there is an account with a zero balance reported by the CA but I have recieved demands for another payment. The last payment was made over 2 years ago and at that time the balance became zero, but now they tell me that I owe a $40 more dollars. I have changed banks sometime ago and do not have records for that transaction. Is there any recourse for me. Its a small amount but I know that I don't owe them. Can they legally report that I owe $40 on that account. Its got to be something for me to be able to do.?:cool:

Not unless they have a lawful reason for doing so.

Your old bank will have records going that far back. You may have to pay for them to research it, but personally I'd rather pay them than the CA.

If you can prove it was paid, then there's the old false and misleading thing with the CA going and you can probably get the CA removed as a result (another reason to pay the old bank for research).

False and misleading, nothing.... it's fraud.

I would respond with a letter telling them this debt was settled in full 2 years ago and that your records (bluff) show it was fully paid. Tell them that coming now asking for more money on a settled account is fraud and that you are going to contact the authorities about it.

Make a copy of your credit report now showing $0 balance so that you can show that they themselves reported it was paid in full. If they change it later, you'll have proof enough of their fraud to send someone to prison.

• 3 months later...