Signed contract bid

kerbes

This may be an old question to many, but new to me: Is an original signed construction contact binding unless there is written authorization for any increases to the contract amount?

I am in Oregon and had contracted to have a garage added to our residence. An estimate was given and signed within the 10 day limit with a total contract price listed. Due to a situation beyond all of our control, the building permit took 7 months to get from the county and at that time I verbally agreed to a materials increase to the original contract price. At a later time I was given an invoice with added expenses due to a county requirement that the contractor said was unknown at the time of the bid and also an added expense for equipment rental and labor to remove a rock that was in the way of the footing that the contractor knew might be a problem prior to the bid estimate.

Hoping someone has some information for me. Thanks

I'd pay for the rental equipment but not the County-induced charge. He moved the rock, didn't he? My guess is he left that out of the estimate to give you an attractive price knowing he'd come back and hit you with it, but hey, is the garage done? I'd tell him to eat the County charge since you are paying him to build a legal structure and it's his business to know what the authorities require. In may experience, both home and commercial, is you never pay the bid price, it always ends up more.