Overwhelmed... where to start?

Slow Eddie

I finally decided to tackle my wife's credit issues and ordered all 3 reports. I got Experian online but TU and Equifax need to be mailed because for whatever reason they couldn't verifiy my wifes identity online.

The bad news is my wife has 18 baddies. The good news in they are all beyond the SOL. 12 out of the 18 according to Experian are scheduled to fall off by the end of 2007. How much can you trust Experian to really take them off by those dates? Can I put enough faith in them to just let them fall off themselves?

I know my first step should be to dispute, but I feel funny disputing 18 TL's. Should I do them in groups starting with the oldest in the "last reported" column? She has a couple trade lines that the last reported date was back in 2001 but those same trade lines are scheduled for deletion this year.

Or should I start with the trade lines that will remain on the CR the longest? Also, does it matter if I dispute a OC's tradeline vs. the CA? The OC needs to verify or delete just like the CA would correct?

I read through all of the primers and thought I had a game plan until I actually got the ball rolling and ordered the reports.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie

The bad news is my wife has 18 baddies. The good news in they are all beyond the SOL. 12 out of the 18 according to Experian are scheduled to fall off by the end of 2007. How much can you trust Experian to really take them off by those dates?
Since you mention SOL, I'm assuming that the debts behind the TLs in question have not been paid? You are fortunate in that in California it is unlawful for suit to be brought to recover a SOL debt (Wisconsin is the only other state with a similar law). However, if it were me, I wouldn't risk having an OC or a CA erroneously update a TL that is scheduled to fall off within the year by disputing. A six-year baddie isn't hurting your wife's FICO much.
Can I put enough faith in them to just let them fall off themselves?
Yes, most negative TLs automatically disappear after the seven-year mark. If they don't, come back here and we'll walk you through the steps to correct that.

I know my first step should be to dispute, but I feel funny disputing 18 TL's. Should I do them in groups starting with the oldest in the "last reported" column?

You can do it either way -- either all once or in bunches. For me, I found doing a few at a time was best. However, if you are preparing for a large credit purchase -- such as a home or vehicle -- or want to clear up your wife's report quickly in preparation for a job search -- then doing them all at once is okay, too.
She has a couple trade lines that the last reported date was back in 2001 but those same trade lines are scheduled for deletion this year. Or should I start with the trade lines that will remain on the CR the longest?
I'll say again, if it were me, I wouldn't dispute the negative TLs due to fall off at the end of '07.
Also, does it matter if I dispute a OC's tradeline vs. the CA? The OC needs to verify or delete just like the CA would correct?
In my experience, an OC's TL is more difficult to have deleted than a CA's. But yes, an OC must verify a TL with the CRAs just as a CA does.