Petition to reopen case

west1012

Here I am thinking the rules for procedure are similar in all states/counties.

OK, I realize "my ignorance" is no exception to the law, so I am trying to ask questions to help educate myself a little bit. I am assuming by reading the district court judgment paper, that the "prothonotary" is the clerk of the court of common pleas. I went to their office 3 times last week, and they will offer no help.........they say they can not give any advice because they are not lawyers, and if i need information to go to the law library and look it up.

All I wanted to know was "procedure"..........what can I expect? What is the next step, and then what? :roll: They do not even have any forms to fill out, and I can not seem to find links that tell you anything.........dead ends everywhere.

thanks willing

I'm not a lawyer, and I've never even tried to defend myself, so I'm just throwing out suggestions here, but...

Yes...I've heard that most clerk of courts do take that position. Giving legal advicse is not their job. I do know that many lawyers will give you an hour or so (probably for a fee), so if you've got the money, you might find one in your area to talk to. If you don't have money, maybe legal aide?

:)++ I read a "2006 revised" edition of Thompson/West Pa Civil Rules. It had notations/revisions, but I am not sure if I read what you are refering too.

Update:........Recieved more paperwork (postmarked 12/15) with letter dated 12/8.........complaint, dated 12/11, and proof of service dated 12/12........all sent by regular mail 12/18. So I made another trip downtown to the prothonotary's office, and actually got to speek to the chief deputy. I was told again, that the case was closed.............I think I will take the papers up to the District Court office and have them add copies to their file.

(this is all very confusing)

thanks for the comments everyone

:)++

Why not go see a lawyer?

I spoke with Attorney today, and he confirmed (that for now) the case is "closed" and is no longer on the court docket, unless they would petition the court to reopen the case.

So is this a new complaint you were served with for the same debt?

Yep........Same case

I suppose you should wait on a ruling on your dismissal of appeal.

I filed the request to dismiss on 12/12 & the is was dismissed 12/14