TL showing that was cleared in bankruptcy

I have tl showing in my report as a charge off from an original creditor for which the debt was cleared by my bankruptcy in 2000. In doing a DV with the CRAs, the creditor validated the account, which in my understanding is incorrect. After going back and re-reading the book, I'm still unsure as to what the rules are regarding a creditor reporting a debt that was discharged. I'm am ready to contact the creditor directly to get this cleared up, but I don't know what the rules are in this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is one of the last negatives that needs to be removed and I'm looking forward to seeing it gone.

Thanks

The first thing I would do is get my bankruptcy papers to ensure that this particular creditor was listed and has been discharged. After that, I would contact my bankruptcy attorney to let them know this is occurring so that they can send a stern letter to the creditor regarding this and demanding that they correct this on your creditor. Sometimes the accounts still show on your creditor report, however, they should show "included in bankruptcy". I don't know if you filed a Chapter 7 or 13. I can only tell you specifically about a Chapter 13. Eventually, all of the creditors fall off your report and all should have fallen off when you bankruptcy is removed off your credit report. Possibly if you completed a Chapter 7, others may be able to advise on this. Either way, look at your bankruptcy papers first and then contact your bankruptcy attorney. :boxing: