Collection account for $50-best way to remove negative?

forgop

I had some overdue library books and moved. A balance of $230 something was placed on my account to replace them and returned them after I found them. I was sent a notice in the spring that it had been turned over to a collection agency. I called the library and explained my side of it in terms of never receiving any kind of notice of overdue books or warnings about a past due balance on my account. I also explained that since I returned the books, I fully expect to pay a late fee, but to pay full price on them was a little steep.

The lady was very nice and agreed to lower my balance to $50. My contention was that I didn't believe it was fair to place my account up for collection because I never received a single notice.

I just pulled up my report and it's showing on all 3 reports. My goal is to obviously pay the late fee of the $50, but what's my best bet for removal? Offer to pay another small late penalty to the library directly and then make the CA validate? How would you proceed?

"...I didn't believe it was fair to place my account up for collection since I never received a single notice..."

Nice contention, but it's erroneous. FYI: Creditors are under no obligation to inform the consumer prior to collection activity. Their policies and procedures are outlined 'somewhere' when the consumer establishes the account. The presumption is: You know you have overdue books. You know there will be a fee. The City/County Library posted their intent during the origination process (for getting a library card). Other creditors include this provision in their loan papers or account agreement.

"...what's my best bet for removal..."

Since you have already established genial contact with the Library, why not offer payment for withdrawal of the account from the CA? CA's take a large portion as fees for collection. The Library stands to reap the whole $50 {or $230, you may want to sweeten the deal} directly from you in exchange for a little effort on their part. (Sell it!) They HAVE the authority to do this. Once the account is foundationless, you can then dispute it off your CR.

Ok, well you returned the books---right??? They aren't "technically" out ANY money. Since they don't charge a fee to rent their materials, they don't make a profit and it would've been different had you NOT returned the books because than, true cost would've been incurred to them. But they still have "late fees" for you to contend with.

If it were me, I'd go directly to the library and ask to speak to whoever is in charge, the librarian his/herself I guess. Ask him/her if there is any way they'd be willing to retract the collection and accept payment from you. I would definitely be as polite as I could, I would apologize and maybe even offer to "donate" a few books...but in all honesty, you're not asking a lot.

The only hard thing is, if they already purchased the books to make up for the loss. But then, it doesn't sound like they did if she was willing to take it down to 50.00. Also, if you pay them without working something out-all they'll do is contact the collection agency and tell them it's "paid" and then they'll just report a "paid collection" on your CR's.

Our library does not accept late fees, provided you return the books. I was a week overdue with a book and I asked her, "do I owe you a late fee?" She said, "No, we just want the books back...we don't charge late fees." Than again, we're a smaller town.

Good luck with this, I sure hope something can be arranged.

Elyse