Do you always need a Lawyer

Worried

There are some "consumer" lawyers who only are interested in you filing bankruptcy.

Up front cost depends. A poster here was asked to pay about $600 up front which covered a retainer and filing fee. No way to really judge "average" cost. Figure on a few hundred.

The benefits should be obvious.

Do you really need a doctor?

If you are being sued, a fee equal to 10-20% of the amount is reasonable, though I think most would want a minimum fee of some kind.

To prosecute a violation, most will do it on contingency with a consultation or retainer fee. $300-500 is normal and not unreasonable.

Expect to pay all costs and fees, such as filing fees, service of process, motion fees, deposition transcripts. They will vary.

Or you could check to see if you qualify for legal aid in your state. Google "legal aid [your city]"

Usually it requires that your household have a low income, however in my experience I received a free consultation, then the attorney that met with me agreed to take my case so he could get community service hours and file a counterclaim for attorneys fees.