Cell phone issues

Trapper L

I needed a cell phone for work and XYZ phone company had a offer to try their service and after 30 days if you didn't like it, all you were responsible for was the time used. Well, the phone didn't work where I work making it useless. I returned it a week later as it is a 35 mile drive to return it. I returned the phone, charger, and all of the paperwork but didn't have the box. They hammered me for $25.00 for the box. Then I get a notice from them that the program I signed up for, I was not eligable for as they could find no credit info on me. At age 59 and having great credit, I knew something was wrong. I looked at the original paperwork and the kid making out the contract didn't get my name correctly, none of it. Now I have a collection company calling the house and leaving messages to call them. I called only to sit on ignore so I haven't talked with them. The phone company now has the bill at over $250.00 for around 60 minutes of phone time.

Not ever having any credit issues, where or what do I do next?

CAll the phone company and speak with a supervisor or upper management to work this out. Did you pay the $25 fee. Seems they did get your name right since they got it to a CA that has tracked you. Anyway I would start with the company not the collection agency. work it out with them and have them delete the negative info from the CRA.

I appreciate the response but no, they are calling for the name on the contract and the call is automated. If my name was James Lewis Smith, they are calling for Lew Sit. That's how they screwed up the deal. While I expect to pay for the time used, $250.00 is ridiculous and yes, I already paid for the box. I figure that the time used at absurd rates would be in the $15.00-$20.00 range and per their contract, I am only respondsible for time used. I also have emailed these guys back in October 3, 2006 to be exact about the issue. No response from them. Any other ideas? I am having issues with having any phone conversation with anybody at this time. I have always been told- document, document, document.

I would agree with Chilton in regards to contacting a supervisor of the phone company. Once you talk to them and get all the information clarified, you can send this person a certified letter whereby having your documentation. I understand your reluctance to talk to anyone but you do need a name to put with your paperwork...someone needs to take responsibility! The creditor is the one who can remove it from your credit report. :)%