Stupid Collectors

divemedic

I was attempting to get rid of a CA on an old debt for a friend. A medical collection with a date of service of 10/4/2000. The amount? $21.

I placed the call, posing as the friend, and told the CA that I was willing to pay the $21, in exchange for PFD. They refused. I pointed out that the SOL has run on a debt that old, and that it would mean that they get nothing, unless they PFD. I asked her why they were willing to lose money like that.

They told me that it is illegal to delete. When I told her that the law does not make it illegal to delete, she said "If you know so much, why do you have such bad credit?" and then hung up.

This is what we are dealing with here. PFD, make money. No PFD, no money. Doesn't make business sense.

It would cost them more than the $21 to submit the correction to all three bureaus.

Better to let them trip-up again and send another letter. Since they now know the debt is past SoL they would be misrepresenting the legal status of the debt if they tried to collect.

You may not agree. It appears to me that the Creditors and CAs have a longstanding Policy with the CRAs to NOT Delete. Deletions may be very costly for Creditors and CAs via huge fine$ by the CRAs.

A Deletion may be construed as the Furnishers of Information had Reported or Opened Collection Accts with the CRAs by providing Inaccurate (or false) Information that had been Verified for years. I find that the CRAs, Creditors and CAs may be sued after Deletions, which rarely happens. A Deletion evidences that the Information (in our Credit Reports) was Inaccurate to begin with, which had damaged our FICO Scores for years.

Your friend's old CA Account should fall off 10/2007? Meanwhile, try another approach. Dispute with the CRAs. Because the real issue is not always whether the information is even Accurate or not, but is the CRA able and willing to prove it. Get them on some state or federal violations for a measely $21. Have some fun!

Until Next Time Remember:

Scores go Up and Down. Knowledge Stays Forever.

A longstanding POLICY is not LAW. The CRA's cannot fine anyone, they are not government officials. If sued, the CA merely produces the written agreement that you deleted in exchange for payment. It is done all the time. A weak excuse, IMO.

It has been disputed many times over the last year, always verified. The debt is valid, but paying a post collection debt does nothing for you, so why pay? Whether he pays or not, it costs him points.

My advice to him is to let it fall off.

From my own experience, a fairly new (1 year old) open collection that comes off gets you a 90 point jump, if it is your only negative. A 7 year old paid collection that falls off gets you about 85 points. Big deal! 7 years old and paid gets you 5 extra points. Until this inequity is fixed, I will never suggest paying collections.

A longstanding POLICY is not LAW. The CRA's cannot fine anyone, they are not government officials. If sued, the CA merely produces the written agreement that you deleted in exchange for payment. It is done all the time. A weak excuse, IMO.

Calm down. Never said a private POLICY was LAW. The CRAs do not have to be governmental officials to penalize, charge or fine$ those who breach their prviate Contracts. Where a debt is PAID for Deletion, it still may be Disputed or the CA sued, UNLESS it had been properly Validated and/or Verified.

I placed the call, posing as the friend, and told the CA that I was willing to pay the $21, in exchange for PFD. They refused. I pointed out that the SOL has run on a debt that old, and that it would mean that they get nothing, unless they PFD. I asked her why they were willing to lose money like that.
My advice to him is to let it fall off.

With respect, your OP stated that you had placed the call to pay it.

Until this inequity is fixed, I will never suggest paying collections.

Again, calm down. Respectfully, your OP stated that you had called (posing as the friend) to pay it. Color me :confused:!!!

Until Next Time Remember:

Scores go Up and Down. Knowledge Stays Forever.

Mine is wilder than the OP's friend! I offered PFD on a $1000 med collection. Got a 'no can do!' Doc's office said they would reduce it to $758 but I had to get a paid collection..... I told them FOAD. The lady got nasty about the methods that the CA they hired could collect. I told her that it was past SOL and that they would never see a penny unless they delete.

She was outraged. She said,"You mean I can IGNORE *MY* debts for 3 years and not have to pay them?!?!?!" Me: "In SC, yes." She couldn't believe it..... here it is 2 yrs later and they STILL haven't been paid. They can KMA. They could have been paid in full for a medical bill they failed to file insurance on within the insurance SOL of 2 years. Their screw up and *I* get a collection.

I will NEVER pay a collection! BTW, this is the ONLY CA on my bureaus. 2 years more and it is history.

With respect, your OP stated that you had placed the call to pay it.
Not really. He only said he'd pay it for PFD or no dice -- and I agree him. Why pay an out of statute debt if you can't get a delete ?? After 5 years, it's impact on score is much reduced and paying it with a paid collection status could actually make appear updated -- and then scores WILL drop. Leave it alone, it ages more, affects scores less, untill it drops off anyway.

Yknow what's funny? I bet a very large % of posters on credit related board would pay MORE than what is actually due in order to achieve a PFD.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's an OOS debt, with only one year left of reporting just be patient until it falls off. Their arrogance kept them from being paid. Take that $21 and go to the movies with your buddy.

When it falls off his report, send the CA a thank you card for refusing to accept his payment. Let them know that money went towards a movie and the thank you card.

I paid a collection this August. It was a 4 year old collection still on report but only on TU. It should be removed next year 07 (NY paid collection 5 year rule) any way FICO still says you have a recent late payment four months old.

So no point in paying. Actually lowered my score by paying now it is a recent late payment.

A Deletion may be construed as the Furnishers of Information had Reported or Opened Collection Accts with the CRAs by providing Inaccurate (or false) Information that had been Verified for years. I find that the CRAs, Creditors and CAs may be sued after Deletions, which rarely happens. A Deletion evidences that the Information (in our Credit Reports) was Inaccurate to begin with, which had damaged our FICO Scores for years.

:speechless: