How should I handle this dental bill neg. acct ?

tmac01

Okay,

I have reported this acct a while back but I need some guidance. I have a dental bill for $309. Now here is the problem...I am pretty sure I might owe around $100 on this acct but HONESTLY the dentist never told me this nor did his office ever call me or send me a letter letting me know I owed them it just showed up on my CR one day. I like this dentist as he has been my dentist since i was a little kid and I have a lot of respect for him. Now you can never leave his office without PAYING IN FULL...EVER !!!! So how did I get a bill and better yet it was sent to a tinker tock small CA in my small hometown that reported it to EX and TU. My dentist office had my phone number, address, and even my parents address so why didn't they call me and say "Tmac you owe us !!". I sent a goodwill letter and called him several times but he ignored me so what do I do now. The amount the collection ageny is asking for is incorrect. If I go after the CA then my dentist will probably feel like I disrespected him and probably sue me but he is in the wrong. How can I go about this acct ? Any help is appreciated...:)

My first concern would be why you care about what the dentist thinks? If he sent your information to collections and doesn't return your calls, it's apparent how he values you as a customer. If he wanted to sue you, he could do so without a collection agency. Below is a sample of a letter you can use to send to the collection agency. Do not call them!!! Adjust this letter to you and remember NOT TO SIGN IT!!! You should print your same: xThudx

LETTER TO COLLECTION AGENCY

COLLECTION AGENCY VALIDATION/DISPUTE/CEASE AND DESIST Use this IN IT'S ENTIRETY. DO NOT call them .

Use this letter and the included form to make the agency verify that the debt is actually yours and owed by you. Keep a copy for your files and send the letter registered mail return receipt requested.

Your Name

123 Your Street Address

Your City, ST 01234

ABC Collections

123 NotOnYourLife Ave

Chicago, IL

Date: _________ CRRR#____________

Re: Acct # XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to your attached letter.

(If you have nothing in writing use the phrase "recent communication)

This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed.

Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), I have the right to request validation of the debt you say I owe you. I am requesting proof that I am indeed the party you are asking to pay this debt, and there is some contractual obligation which is binding on me to pay this debt.

Your legal staff will agree that compliance with this request is required under the laws of (State name) and Federal Statutes.

In addition to the questionnaire below, please attach copies of:

Agreement with your client that grants you the authority to collect on this alleged debt or proof of acquisition by purchase or assignment.

Agreement that bears the signature of the alleged debtor wherein he or she agreed to pay the creditor.

Please also be advised that this letter is not only a formal dispute, but a request that you cease and desist any and all collection activities.

I require compliance with the terms and conditions of this letter within 30 days. or a complete withdrawal, in writing, of any claim.

In the event of noncompliance, I reserve the right to file charges and/or complaints with appropriate County, State & Federal authorities ,the BBB and State Bar associations for violations of the FDCPA, FCRA, and Federal and State statutes on fraudulent extortion .

I also hereby reserve my right to take private civil action against you to recover damages.

Sincerely,

Your Name(PRINT OR TYPE DO NOT SIGN)

-------------------------------------------

Debt Validation Form

Questionnaire to be returned :

Account #: ____________________

Original Creditor's Name: _________________________________

Name of Debtor: ______________________________________

Address of Debtor: ___________________________________

Balance of Account: __________________________________

Date you acquired this debt: _________________________

This Debt was: assigned ___purchased___

Please indicated any credit bureaus to which you have reported on this account:

Experian ______

Equifax ______

TransUnion _____

You don't have to put the number on your letter if you don't want to. It's not necessary. What I used to do was get the number and then right it on the space I left blank on the letter and then sealed it. You don't have to do it that way if it's too confusing. The fact that you are sending the letter certified is the most important factor. Keep copies of everything you send along with a diary or chart to keep track of dates. :BigDance:

tmac---have you done a search for "medical collection" or even "dentist"? There are tons of threads all outlining what to do, including one of your own asking about what I would guess is the same TL. I'm not trying to rag on you I swear, but there really is so much info available. There are threads related to exactly this same topic, talking about reporting them to the ADA, etc. as well threads dealing with requesting for all statements vs. what was billed to the insurance co. what was paid, etc. and the legalities of billing you for the difference. I've even read threads that suggest that the letters you send to the office be marked Personal so as to make it through the Office Manager. Please read through these. Being as informed as possible will really help you in your dealings on this.

Newbie..of course I read these threads. I spend more time reading than posting. I dod not get thet much time to post on these threads due to my job. I am off for 2 weeks so I am trying to get as many opinions as possible to get a plan for my attack. Even the moderator LNY was wondering why all of a sudden I had these onslaught of questions then I told he/she why and he/she understood. I am just looking for guidance and help. I have been on these boards for 2 yrs so I'm not exactly a newbie but I also do my share of helping others and dealing with those who have short tempers and no patience ( not you..:) ) So if I am asking a question yes there are tons of vailable information on this forum but then why post ? You have more posts than I and you have been on this board for a year less than you yet I believe that all 821 posts you have made are important..at least to me..Merry Christmas !!

Yeah I new LNY was a she but I was only 99.9 % sure..:mrgreen: Shes wonderful !! And I am already dreading going back to work with those kiddos...Then again I can't complain working in the education field because they do give us so many days off per year...Take Care and see yah on the boards...:D

So is their a possibility that if I send my dentist a goodwill letter that he might say "screw you" and then the CA will have all the new info on me that they need ? Because I wrote a Good Goodwill letter but I'm not sure if this can be used against me. In a goodwill letter you are saying "yes I owe you and please remove this info from my CR and I will pay you !!" So is the Goodwill letter such a good thing ?