Suing previous landlord- they turned us in

ShelleyR

I think this has to be a common situation but haven't found a post yet to match my question.

I am in the process of suing my previous landlord for intentionally witholding my rental deposit.

After we moved out they created bogus charges and charged us for wear and tear.

We refuse to pay them until this gets resolved in court. Unfortunately, couldn't get a court date until April.

In the meantime, we are in collections. We wrote the CA letting them know it is in dispute.

Last letter from CA says they are going to investigate our ability to pay (it is only 550 but it is the principle of the matter).

Should I be worried about this or just be patient and wait until court on April and send the CA a copy of the judgement (pretty sure we will win).

How would you suggest I deal with the CA on this until April if ignoring them isn't the best thing and a dispute letter didn't seem to do much?

Thanks,

Shelley

I think this has to be a common situation but haven't found a post yet to match my question.

I am in the process of suing my previous landlord for intentionally witholding my rental deposit.

After we moved out they created bogus charges and charged us for wear and tear.

We refuse to pay them until this gets resolved in court. Unfortunately, couldn't get a court date until April.

In the meantime, we are in collections. We wrote the CA letting them know it is in dispute.

Last letter from CA says they are going to investigate our ability to pay (it is only 550 but it is the principle of the matter).

Should I be worried about this or just be patient and wait until court on April and send the CA a copy of the judgement (pretty sure we will win).

How would you suggest I deal with the CA on this until April if ignoring them isn't the best thing and a dispute letter didn't seem to do much?

Thanks,

Shelley

Cases against landlords are tough for a number of reasons. Typically, they'll report normal wear and tear as damages and try to get you to pay for them. A lot of times they'll make up stuff to try to hold out on your rental deposit. Your best evidence is to take pictures of the apartment when you leave showing the condition of the apartment. Otherwise, they can claim damages to all sorts of things and do the damages themselves to make you pick up the tab. Anything more they can charge you for out of your deposit is just more profit to their bottom line. In a court room, he may provide pictures that don't truly reflect the condition of how you really left the place.

Shelley,

I had a similar situation with NCO they reported an account that was in dispute with the original creditor. I sent them a letter that I was doing to sue them if they did not remove the CL from my credit report. Like you I was getting no where with the original creditor. maybe this can help you.

Here is a link to the letter.

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260123&page=2&highlight=nutcase