Law Office validated....what to do next?

OK, I've read many posts to this forum and have gained quite a bit of info...but I have a few questions of my own too....I've been dealing with DV letters on my CHASE account for a couple of years now. And like many others on these posts i've been through many JDB and collecting agencies....anyways, everytime I get a letter from a Law Office, I DV them and nothing happens....well the last time I got a letter from a Law Office in Arizona (I live in Texas) I DV'ed them and they sent me 6 facisimile copies of my CHASE statements....I got some advice from this forum and was told that because this Law firm was not local, they could not collect from me anyways....so I let it go. My account was then sold to another Law Firm who sent me a letter, I then sent them a DV letter, and they sent me the same 6 facsimiles plus a balance transfer form with my name, signature, address, ss, and cc account on it along with this letter:

Dear Debtor:

Enclosed pleas find verification of debt for your above referenced cc account in response to your specific demand therefore. Because this firm construed your written demand as a request for verification of debt this firm did not attempt to make contact with you until we could supply you with the enclosed documents.

In our opinion this firm has now complied with its statutory duty, codified in the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. section 1692 et seq) to provide you with verification of your above referenced debt. Therefore, this firm intends to again contact you regarding this debt.

Also, because we understand that we have complied with our statutory obligation as set forth in 15 U.S.C section 1692g(B) this firm will construe any further request for verification of debt as an effort to stall payment on validly owed debt, and not in accord with your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Kindly call 1-888-xxx-xxxx within 10 days of your receipt of this letter, and provide the above referenced accoutn number so that the employees handlint your account may discuss this matter with you. In the event that a settlement can not be reached or that you do not contact this office, we may have no option but to recommend that our client secure its interest by any possible legal means through local counsel in your state.

Best Regards,

Attorney

So does this mean that I now have to contact them about a settlement? I've checked on my credit report and the last time any activity was on this CHASE account was back in May '03....

any advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks....

This is rather abusive:

Also, because we understand that we have complied with our statutory obligation as set forth in 15 U.S.C section 1692g(B) this firm will construe any further request for verification of debt as an effort to stall payment on validly owed debt, and not in accord with your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Tell them they got is wrong. That providing copies of old credit card statements is not validation.

The letter I use is very specific about what they must provide.

- What the money owed is for

- How they calculated what is owed

- Copies of papers showing you agreed to pay

- Copy of Judgment if applicable

- Identifing the original creditor

- Prove the statute of limitations has not expired

- That they are licensed in collect in your state

- Provide license numbers and registered agent

I had a collector send me 2 year old copies of credit card statements as proof. Doesn't cut it.

Good Luck

Tell them they got is wrong. That providing copies of old credit card statements is not validation.

The letter I use is very specific about what they must provide.

- What the money owed is for

- How they calculated what is owed

- Copies of papers showing you agreed to pay

- Copy of Judgment if applicable

- Identifing the original creditor

- Prove the statute of limitations has not expired

- That they are licensed in collect in your state

- Provide license numbers and registered agent

I had a collector send me 2 year old copies of credit card statements as proof. Doesn't cut it.

Good Luck

The FDCPA does not require that the CA provide that stuff. All they must show is that they have the correct debtor and are attempting to collect the correct amount. Statements provided by the creditor to the CA and forwarded to the debtor would meet this standard, as long as the name, address, and balances were correct.

Just because you send a letter asking for that stuff does not mean that the CA must provide it.

...In the event that a settlement can not be reached or that you do not contact this office, we may have no option but to recommend that our client secure its interest by any possible legal means through local counsel in your state...

Perhaps an unsophisticated consumer might consider this a threat to sue and if so, then does this law firm have a track record of taking similarly situated debtors to court?

I'm still learning here too.

So what would I do now? How would I or should I respond? I mean they did send me copies of my credit card statements and a copy of a balance transfer form that I sent them back in 2000. The last time I had any activity on this account was back in May of '03....that means that the SOL on this account is not up until May '07, since the SOL in Texas is 4 years. I just need some advice on how to respond to this letter...since they've given me 10 days to call them or write....

thanks

admin....I have a question, I received another letter from a different Law Office on this same account??? Is it possible to have two collections on the same account? this second letter came after I received the last one.....two different Law Offices but the same CHASE account?? I am going to DV this latest letter, but I wanted to find out if receiving two collections on the same account was legit?

thanks....